Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Vascular Programs?
M4 interested in open vascular (like everyone else, lol). What residencies should top my application list if this is my goal?
Not sure where you'd get great open vascular now. Barrow, Miami, UCSF, Jefferson, UW, Pitt, UCLA are the better vascular places.
Guthikonda at dmc does quite a few clippings
(08-22-2019, 06:49 PM)Guest Wrote: Guthikonda at dmc does quite a few clippings

dmc? wtf is that
(08-22-2019, 07:31 PM)Guest Wrote:

dmc? wtf is that

detroit medical center aka wayne state

Of his toenails maybe
open vascular continues to die as a field at an accelerating rate. im a chief resident at a program that does a lot of open vascular and love the cases also, but you can't realistically consider a career in open vascular in the traditional sense these days. Your two options are to be endo trained (which is the way to go), and/or try to be an all around skull base person which means primarily tumor and get a job at a shop without an open vascular paerson. I think it will be a while before avms are best treated endovascularly, but the number of aneurysms that need surgery is in the midst of going from few to almost none.
(08-24-2019, 01:03 AM)Guest Wrote: open vascular continues to die as a field at an accelerating rate.  im a chief resident at a program that does a lot of open vascular and love the cases also, but you can't realistically consider a career in open vascular in the traditional sense these days. Your two options are to be endo trained (which is the way to go), and/or try to be an all around skull base person which means primarily tumor and get a job at a shop without an open vascular paerson.  I think it will be a while before avms are best treated endovascularly, but the number of aneurysms that need surgery is in the midst of going from few to almost none.

i sadly agree with this statement wholeheartedly. senior resident considering open vascular and skull base, but you realistically can't do vascular without being endo trained. all that radiation though...
(08-22-2019, 05:01 PM)Guest Wrote: Not sure where you'd get great open vascular now. Barrow, Miami, UCSF, Jefferson, UW, Pitt, UCLA are the better vascular places.

USC , lots of bypass cases there too
(08-27-2019, 03:22 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 05:01 PM)Guest Wrote: Not sure where you'd get great open vascular now. Barrow, Miami, UCSF, Jefferson, UW, Pitt, UCLA are the better vascular places.

USC , lots of bypass cases there too

Are bypasses really what we’re considering great cases anymore? Or are you talking about direct anastomosis

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)