Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone think its too old to finish residency at 38 years old? I just came to face with this reality and I'm having second thoughts about pursuing NSG, help.
Lot's of MD, PhDs are in the age range. 22 years old + 4 years med school + 4 years PhD + 7 years residency + 1 year fellowship = 38.
I'll be about 40 so I hope not. I'd rather do something I loved for 20 years than something I was less interested in for 23 or 24, or whatever little time you'd gain pursuing a different specialty. 3-4 more years might seem like a long time now, but every year older you get it represents a smaller portion of your life. Not to mention, if you want to pursue any of the major surgical specialties, you're looking at 5 years minimum. If you wanna specialize in anything, like something in IM, you're looking at 3-4 years of residency and another 2-3 for subspecialty training. Just some things to consider.

Not trying to convince you to stick with NSG necessarily, just offering a counter argument. It's also worth asking yourself if your second thoughts are solely based on being 38 when you finish, or if you have other reservations about pursuing it. Deciding on a specialty is a really big deal, and it represents a massive decision that impacts the rest of your life, so it's normal to have doubts. These are also good topics to discuss with your mentor and residents at your school, as they have all been in your shoes before.
I was hesitant to bring this up with anyone I knew personally, I don't want to cast doubts on my commitment. I love the specialty, very difficult to see myself doing anything else and it being more than a just a job, if I don't match, that's a different thing. I also don't have a firm grasp on how long neurosurgeons practice for, average age of retirement. You are right though, all other paths are nearly equivalent in length, and I have the added benefit of being "happy". it is literally just that, the age question, I have no qualms with the workloads or responsibilities given the nature of what I would be doing, compensation isn't bad, and jobs are plenty.
Yeah man, I can certainly appreciate the reluctance to discuss this with people in your own department for the reasons you mention. I hope I didn't come off disparaging; I just wanted to make sure (not knowing you) that you knew it was okay to question if this path is right for you, but also that having doubts or concerns about it doesn't mean you're somehow not committed or dedicated enough or whatever other BS you might hear form anonymous posters on the internet.
thanks dispo, you honestly helped me feel better with my decision to continue with NSG, that doubt isn't a game changer, merely a sign that I've thought this through. much appreciated my man.
neurosurgeons can retire whenever they want right? even at 80 if they can still operate?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)