Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vanderbilt
What was everyone's opinion about Vandy this year?
“We’re so female friendly!!!” ?
(09-14-2019, 08:58 PM)Guest Wrote: “We’re so female friendly!!!” ?

why the ?
(09-14-2019, 05:58 PM)Guest Wrote: What was everyone's opinion about Vandy this year?

Was a hot program 10 yrs ago, when I interviewed.  A ton of big-name faculty have left since then.  Right now probably coasting on the name of the med school a little bit.  They are hiring a ton of young, energetic faculty and their residents seem to be presenting at every single conference and getting good fellowships.  They also seem to be producing a lot of enfolded fellows which is attractive for applicants, but the field is trending away from it (with good reason).  Not sure the clinical training is as strong as what you'd get from Memphis, Baylor, Emory, Miami, Indiana, or a number of other nearby programs, but trajectory seems to be heading up.
(09-15-2019, 10:39 AM)Guest Wrote:
(09-14-2019, 05:58 PM)Guest Wrote: What was everyone's opinion about Vandy this year?

Was a hot program 10 yrs ago, when I interviewed.  A ton of big-name faculty have left since then.  Right now probably coasting on the name of the med school a little bit.  They are hiring a ton of young, energetic faculty and their residents seem to be presenting at every single conference and getting good fellowships.  They also seem to be producing a lot of enfolded fellows which is attractive for applicants, but the field is trending away from it (with good reason).  Not sure the clinical training is as strong as what you'd get from Memphis, Baylor, Emory, Miami, Indiana, or a number of other nearby programs, but trajectory seems to be heading up.
I did a rotation here. The clinical training is effectively as strong as I could imagine. The pgy 2 residents get in the OR as first assist on really good cases, the chiefs are essentially able to do even complex vasculsr and skull base cases with minimal to no attending assistance, and the volume is very high. They have a very good diversity of cases, research opportunities are good, single hospital (except va and peds) so the residents are really close. The involved EV fellows are trusted by the attending to do complex cases solo. Really strong program. Very much enjoyed my rotation.
UCSF or bust!
Solid program comparable to Sinai, Jeff, Miami, Baylor, Case. It looks good for them that they've had faculty recruited to be chairs and PDs elsewhere. They historically have a high number of internal applicants which they like to keep so it may be hard to beat Vandy grads out without a SubI here.
(09-16-2019, 09:31 PM)Guest Wrote: Solid program comparable to Sinai, Jeff, Miami, Baylor, Case. It looks good for them that they've had faculty recruited to be chairs and PDs elsewhere. They historically have a high number of internal applicants which they like to keep so it may be hard to beat Vandy grads out without a SubI here.

Delete Sinai. This program is way below the names listed next to it. They just have the money and media personnel for ads. People who don’t match at Columbia, NYU or Cornell end up there. Heavy endovascular but completely covered by 3 fellows.
I rotated as well. I second this appraisal. Early and frequent operative exposure starting PGY-2 with over 5000 cases a year. Their chief residents are very technically skilled upon graduation; They recently hired a graduating chief who was able to perform fairly complex tumor cases independently. Graduates go on to powerhouse fellowships: one of the graduating chiefs just stated his peds fellowship at The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto--arguably one of the best peds fellowships in the world. The have rising faculty members such as Dr. Dario Englot and Dr. Lola Chambless (PD) just to name a couple. They are strong in all areas. Research is plentiful and many residents will earn additional degrees (Masters in clinical investigation, MPH, etc.). Residents are tight. They get together fairly often outside the hospital because they all get along well. Program diversity is about as good as it gets. They have an entire PGY class of women! IMG friendly as well. I was very impressed over all. Great program!
Their PD is a joke. Always venting on twitter!

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)