Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Doximity ranking and program selection
I used Doximity ranking to get some impression on which programs where out of reach, which were mid-range and which were reach programs, if there is anything like that for neurosurgery.  But honestly, I was surprised to see many big name institutions for medical school ( not neurosurgery)  where ranked lower than I had expected and vice versa. I wonder how much you all agree with this ranking for residency application purpose ? 
Also,is there a reason why Doximity does not put numbers to their list, so we know where programs are ranked at. I judge by how much I have to scroll to see the program name  Big Grin
As a recent grad - it's mostly, but not all, bullshit. I think the top 20 are a fair representation of the programs that people talk about as being "good" in that they have historically produced important neurosurgeons, but the methodology is questionable at best. I mean, have you ever read a negative review left by an alum? Didn't think so. Using your criteria, you're going to miss great programs that are ranked relatively low (Florida, Baylor, Jefferson, to name a few) and place too much faith in ones that are ranked higher but more niche (Columbia, Stanford, a number of others).

But we are competitive, and we like rankings, even if they're useless. Doximity capitalized on that to get your page views and revenue. Congrats on feeding into it.
I really appreciate the feedback coming from a current resident/grad. Yes, I also suspected that the rankings started to feel very arbitrary going down the list. I guess I did pay into Doximity's tactic but still helped me get some rough idea. Thanks for comments !!
Are we talking about the "Sort By: Reputation" or "Sort By: Research Output" Doximity rankings? It seems like the Research Output rankings are objective, as they say "Research output measures the collective h-index of program alumni", while the Reputation rankings are probably more subjective, with them saying "Reputation is statistically weighted to produce reputation values that represent the opinions of all survey-eligible physicians." Are both of the rankings bullshit, or is it just the Reputation ones. Otherwise I'll be using the Research Output rankings as definitive rankings from now on...
(04-03-2020, 12:48 AM)Guest Wrote: Are we talking about the "Sort By: Reputation" or "Sort By: Research Output" Doximity rankings? It seems like the Research Output rankings are objective, as they say "Research output measures the collective h-index of program alumni", while the Reputation rankings are probably more subjective, with them saying "Reputation is statistically weighted to produce reputation values that represent the opinions of all survey-eligible physicians." Are both of the rankings bullshit, or is it just the Reputation ones. Otherwise I'll be using the Research Output rankings as definitive rankings from now on...

Dude H indices are deceptive as well. Certain sites excluded self citations while others include it so it’s not as objective as you think and yes self citations do impact H indices quite a bit.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)