Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how useful are lors from private practise
if you manage to shadow someone for many months,

and he gives you a very strong letter, do you think it would matter much at all?
Very modest. Would not recommend generally.
You'll hear people disparage anything that is off the beaten path.

I matched this year with 3 academic letters and a private practice letter. The private practice letter was phenomenal and I received many compliments on it even though most didn't know who the nsg was. I had big name letters as well and it was a good mix to please the faculty members who only wanted to see big names they recognized but also was good for the people who wanted to see a well written letter that was clearly not a "copy paste" even if it was from a lesser known neurosurgeon.

In the end, I think it better be a damned good letter, otherwise stick to the academics.
(04-05-2017, 10:23 AM)Guest Wrote: You'll hear people disparage anything that is off the beaten path.

I matched this year with 3 academic letters and a private practice letter. The private practice letter was phenomenal and I received many compliments on it even though most didn't know who the nsg was. I had big name letters as well and it was a good mix to please the faculty members who only wanted to see big names they recognized but also was good for the people who wanted to see a well written letter that was clearly not a "copy paste" even if it was from a lesser known neurosurgeon.

In the end, I think it better be a damned good letter, otherwise stick to the academics.

I agree with this post. I had a very similar mix, 3 academics (2 big name, 1 young nsg) and 1 private nsg that I had worked with for a number of years. I think that if you have 4 great LoRs from academic Drs then there might not be a need for a PP letter. That being said, I switched my 4th academic LoR for the PP one because I knew the latter would be stellar.
It is probably not important

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)