Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2.13 Average
Penn State Accelerated Med + NSGY Residency
Anybody have any insight on this program? Allows you to graduate medical school in 3 years with guaranteed NSGY match. 
Source: https://med.psu.edu/md/accelerated/neurosurgery
Sorry to sound ignorant, I searched it on the forums but nothing came up. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I wouldn't recommend guaranteeing you do residency there. Long history of resident attrition and Harbaugh is retiring.
(10-29-2019, 09:09 AM)Guest Wrote: I wouldn't recommend guaranteeing you do residency there. Long history of resident attrition and Harbaugh is retiring.

Thanks for the insight, Im rather new so I wasn't sure which programs have a good reputation or not. Appreciate it.
(10-29-2019, 09:10 AM)Adrenaline Junkey Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 09:09 AM)Guest Wrote: I wouldn't recommend guaranteeing you do residency there. Long history of resident attrition and Harbaugh is retiring.

Thanks for the insight, Im rather new so I wasn't sure which programs have a good reputation or not. Appreciate it.
Wait for more responses and get a more informed perspective. Penn is a solid program, surely not perfect, with two past AANS presidents within the last 5 years or so.
(10-29-2019, 02:58 PM)Guest Wrote:

Wait for more responses and get a more informed perspective. Penn is a solid program, surely not perfect, with two past AANS presidents within the last 5 years or so.

Penn = University of Pennsylvania not Penn State. Neither AANS president will be on faculty by the time OP is a resident. Think twice about pipelining yourself into a neurosurgery residency program as a premed student. You don't know how you feel about your home program until you rotate with them and do SubIs at other programs. Skipping this vetting process for early/guaranteed entry into a neurosurgery program isn't worth it imo.
(10-29-2019, 03:55 PM)Guest Wrote:

Penn = University of Pennsylvania not Penn State. Neither AANS president will be on faculty by the time OP is a resident. Think twice about pipelining yourself into a neurosurgery residency program as a premed student. You don't know how you feel about your home program until you rotate with them and do SubIs at other programs. Skipping this vetting process for early/guaranteed entry into a neurosurgery program isn't worth it imo.

Let’s take it that as a premed I will have by the Med school app cycle have done hundreds of hours of research in neurology and neurosurgery as well as shadowed in neurosurgery for minimum 150-200 hours. That along with being well informed on what it takes to get through residency as well as the emotional and physical toll the field requires, do you think jumping into a guaranteed residency for NSGY is still a mistake if I love it more than all the other fields I shadowed and have read about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(10-29-2019, 03:59 PM)Adrenaline Junkey Wrote:

Let’s take it that as a premed I will have by the Med school app cycle have done hundreds of hours of research in neurology and neurosurgery as well as shadowed in neurosurgery for minimum 150-200 hours. That along with being well informed on what it takes to get through residency as well as the emotional and physical toll the field requires, do you think jumping into a guaranteed residency for NSGY is still a mistake if I love it more than all the other fields I shadowed and have read about?

Go ahead and apply. Whether or not you actually go into neurosurgery is a discussion you should have with your PD and chair. If you have a successful medical school application cycle go to the most research-oriented/brand-name medical school possible. Going to a Columbia/Hopkins/UCSF type school and spending an extra year of your life is better than possibly going to a decaying program
(10-29-2019, 04:15 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 03:59 PM)Adrenaline Junkey Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 09:10 AM)Adrenaline Junkey Wrote: Thanks for the insight, Im rather new so I wasn't sure which programs have a good reputation or not. Appreciate it.

Go ahead and apply. Whether or not you actually go into neurosurgery is a discussion you should have with your PD and chair. If you have a successful medical school application cycle go to the most research-oriented/brand-name medical school possible. Going to a Columbia/Hopkins/UCSF type school and spending an extra year of your life is better than possibly going to a decaying program

Fair enough. So I’m confused as to whether penn state is solid or not. Seems to be conflicting views. What’s the general consensus? I know my home undergrad is mid tier

(10-29-2019, 04:17 PM)Adrenaline Junkey Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 03:59 PM)Adrenaline Junkey Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 02:58 PM)Guest Wrote: Wait for more responses and get a more informed perspective. Penn is a solid program, surely not perfect, with two past AANS presidents within the last 5 years or so.

Fair enough.  So I’m confused as to whether penn state is solid or not. Seems to be conflicting views. What’s the general consensus?  I know my home undergrad is mid tier

TROLL
(10-29-2019, 07:22 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 04:17 PM)Adrenaline Junkey Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 03:59 PM)Adrenaline Junkey Wrote:
(10-29-2019, 03:55 PM)Guest Wrote: Penn = University of Pennsylvania not Penn State. Neither AANS president will be on faculty by the time OP is a resident. Think twice about pipelining yourself into a neurosurgery residency program as a premed student. You don't know how you feel about your home program until you rotate with them and do SubIs at other programs. Skipping this vetting process for early/guaranteed entry into a neurosurgery program isn't worth it imo.

Fair enough.  So I’m confused as to whether penn state is solid or not. Seems to be conflicting views. What’s the general consensus?  I know my home undergrad is mid tier

TROLL

How am I a troll? I’m honestly just looking for some advice because I don’t want to make a brutal mistake. Like I said in the original post, I’m sorry to sound ignorant I just don’t know a lot.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)