Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PGY-2 Openings Next Year
The program I matched to for its location is way more malignant than I expected and I'm having buyer's remorse. I love the rare times I get to actually do neurosurgery or when anyone teaches me something, but it usually never happens. It's terrible coming in to work every day. Any PGY-2 openings this upcoming year?
you are an intern.
Send me a PM
This is the correct response. Most of intern year is not spent in the OR. Focus on learning how to run a floor and care for your patients. If the PGY-2s at your program are not good teachers, utilize the time you spend with the residents above them, and take in as much knowledge as you can. Observe what works and what doesn't work about the communication and organization of the residents and attendings around you. Establish relationships with NPs, the floor nurses who work overnights on your floor, and with residents and fellows in other programs, so that there are open lines of communication that will better serve you in treating your patients and building your base of knowledge.

You're not going to transfer to a different program and find automatic happiness.
Learn by reading and taking extra time to actively observe instead of expecting to be spoon-fed information/procedures. As stated above, the focus of intern year is to set you up for competently and safely taking care of neurosurgical patients and to develop familiarity with neurocritical care techniques. These are expectations that if not well-grasped will set you up for misery for the rest of residency regardless of where you transfer.

(10-31-2019, 09:11 AM)Guest Wrote: you are an intern.

literally not even halfway through intern year yet and complaining
(10-31-2019, 08:10 AM)Guest Wrote: The program I matched to for its location is way more malignant than I expected and I'm having buyer's remorse. I love the rare times I get to actually do neurosurgery or when anyone teaches me something, but it usually never happens. It's terrible coming in to work every day. Any PGY-2 openings this upcoming year?

FYI, this is almost every program in the country. Everyone's nice to you on the interview and then you'll spend all of intern year getting yelled at and doing scut on the floor. Suck it up like the rest of us, get through it, and be nicer on the other side. 

You should feel lucky, people used to be way meaner and the scut used to last until PGY-3 with no NP help.
(10-31-2019, 12:20 PM)Guest Wrote:
(10-31-2019, 08:10 AM)Guest Wrote: The program I matched to for its location is way more malignant than I expected and I'm having buyer's remorse. I love the rare times I get to actually do neurosurgery or when anyone teaches me something, but it usually never happens. It's terrible coming in to work every day. Any PGY-2 openings this upcoming year?

FYI, this is almost every program in the country. Everyone's nice to you on the interview and then you'll spend all of intern year getting yelled at and doing scut on the floor. Suck it up like the rest of us, get through it, and be nicer on the other side. 

You should feel lucky, people used to be way meaner and the scut used to last until PGY-3 with no NP help.

Maybe that mentality is the problem and you should stop treating your interns so poorly. Intern year is cake compared to PGY2. Your not protected anymore. People don't expect you not to know things. You have to learn to operate, to memorize Citow and to sleep standing up.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)