Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UCSD
Thoughts on this program? I am thinking of doing SubI here. I hear they are having a big Chair being announced soon.

Cheers,
Hiayaa
(03-28-2017, 09:01 PM)hiayaa Wrote: Thoughts on this program? I am thinking of doing SubI here. I hear they are having a big Chair being announced soon.

Cheers,
Hiayaa

Are you trolling? UCSD has been discussed enough and enough controversy has been flamed.
Very solid program. Chair search underway (along with UCLA, UC Davis, Dell Medical School in Austin, Montefiore, Minnesota...it's a good time to be looking for a Chair position). UCSD will land a great Chair as the program continues to build on the foundation of the last several years of recruitment and investment by the Health system in a new hosptial. Recommend the sub I as the current group of residents are outstanding and very collegial and the faculty are very supportive. Little known fact...all of the UC schools have 'state FTEs' which support some of the faculty, much like an endowed chair, in their teaching mission....translation...non clinical support means time to teach...which is good for resident education. Another UCSD pearl...Rady Children's hospital is California's largest childrens hospital and several of recent chief residents have gone into Pedi. Very nice mix of pedi/adult in this program.
Not trolling buddy, if you have enough time to post content which has no benefit to the question, spend that time elsewhere

And Guest who actually answered the question, thanks Smile
(03-29-2017, 12:09 AM)Guest Wrote: Very solid program.  Chair search underway (along with UCLA, UC Davis, Dell Medical School in Austin, Montefiore, Minnesota...it's a good time to be looking for a Chair position).  UCSD will land a great Chair as the program continues to build on the foundation of the last several years of recruitment and investment by the Health system in a new hosptial.  Recommend the sub I as the current group of residents are outstanding and very collegial and the faculty are very supportive.  Little known fact...all of the UC schools have 'state FTEs' which support some of the faculty, much like an endowed chair, in their teaching mission....translation...non clinical support means time to teach...which is good for resident education.  Another UCSD pearl...Rady Children's hospital is California's largest childrens hospital and several of recent chief residents have gone into Pedi.  Very nice mix of pedi/adult in this program.

Can you elaborate a little on the faculty support here? Do you find them willing to engage sub is? Also, when will the new chair be announced?
sorry im just a lowly m1, but why is there so many posts and speculation in forums regarding NSG chairs?

Why does it matter to a future applicant for subis and residency, who the chair in that department is?
^ i meant to ask, is it a desire to learn from the best, or is it something else - like how malignant the department is gonna be from then on?
The Chair has an outsized influence on the feel of the program, hence, the desire to know who the Chair will be. However, the best programs, with lots of great faculty, always recruit very good Chairs so no need to worry too much about who will be the Chair. (E.G. perfectly reasonable to rank UCLA highly this year, as they will assuredly recruit a great Chair within a few months).
Who are contenders for the chair position here?
(03-29-2017, 10:36 PM)Guest Wrote: Who are contenders for the chair position here?

How would we know that?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)