Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 vs. 3+ SubIs?
Any thoughts on the merits of doing more than 2 aways? Did anyone find that this substantively helped/hurt in your decision making and competitiveness as an applicant?
Also interested in hearing feedback on this
I think 3 seats are good if you don’t have a home program or are a borderline candidate. It’s a double edged sword. I did 3 sways and thought the last one didn’t really help me out.
(12-17-2019, 03:11 PM)Guest Wrote: Any thoughts on the merits of doing more than 2 aways? Did anyone find that this substantively helped/hurt in your decision making and competitiveness as an applicant?

Do home + 2 aways. I did 3 aways and I don't think it helped me whatsoever. Take that extra month to study for CK, work on research, or work on your ERAS app.
I think 3 aways is overkill although it is more common now. If you are a marginal candidate or really want to check out a program that may otherwise not interview you, then go for it.

Also consider which letters you will use. If you have home program chair + home program PD/mentor/research year letter + 2 aways then you won't even use your third away letter. Then it serves more as an audition rotation than anything.

It also becomes awkward when you have to say you did third away but don't have a letter because you already submitted 4 through ERAS.
It depends. There are places who simply won’t invite you if you don’t do an away (or at least rarely invites unless you’re stellar). Also, take into account whether you’d be able to use / want to use the letter from your last program if it’s past sept 15. I did 3 aways and they were very helpful, both in showing my interest to those programs but also just learned more as I went.
(12-17-2019, 10:17 PM)Guest Wrote: It depends. There are places who simply won’t invite you if you don’t do an away (or at least rarely invites unless you’re stellar). Also, take into account whether you’d be able to use / want to use the letter from your last program if it’s past sept 15. I did 3 aways and they were very helpful, both in showing my interest to those programs but also just learned more as I went.

Agree. Recommend if you have the stamina/time, or no home program, but is not required. Getting to know another place with their style and chairman/PD well will only help you down the line.  Don't do like 6 though, or at least if you do don't tell anyone it comes off as desparate.
did 3 AIs + home. was tiring but dont regret it. AIs are best chance to match at. just dont mention you did the last AIs on interviews if you dont use the last AI letter
did 3 + home, was a marginal candidate, matched at my 3rd sub-I that I otherwise wouldn't have been competitive for. no app is the same.
(12-18-2019, 02:08 AM)guest8898 Wrote: did 3 AIs + home. was tiring but dont regret it. AIs are best chance to match at. just dont mention you did the last AIs on interviews if you dont use the last AI letter

Agreed. Do rotations places you’d want to be at. It’s the most likely to help you match. Also, for my last rotation because I knew my application was submitted already it took away some of the pressure of getting a letter and I think I actually ended up performing better because of it. Although that is confounded be additional experience

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)