Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
advice please?
Hey guys, just wondering, so I have 13 interviews and I'm unsure if I'll match so I've obviously started thinking about soap/scramble vs prelim vs preresidency fellowship vs research year

I honestly don't know much about the process and was hoping to ask for some advice and the pros and cons of each and how the soap even works. my school has been really unhelpful so I'm just lost and a bit overwhelmed by the situation.

thank you everyone in advance, I really appreciate it! Smile
(12-22-2019, 05:32 PM)Guest Wrote: Hey guys, just wondering, so I have 13 interviews and I'm unsure if I'll match so I've obviously started thinking about soap/scramble vs prelim vs preresidency fellowship vs research year

I honestly don't know much about the process and was hoping to ask for some advice and the pros and cons of each and how the soap even works. my school has been really unhelpful so I'm just lost and a bit overwhelmed by the situation.

You will either match at the top of your list or plummet. Best strategy would be delay graduation for a year and try again next year.
(12-22-2019, 07:53 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 05:32 PM)Guest Wrote: Hey guys, just wondering, so I have 13 interviews and I'm unsure if I'll match so I've obviously started thinking about soap/scramble vs prelim vs preresidency fellowship vs research year

You will either match at the top of your list or plummet. Best strategy would be delay graduation for a year and try again next year.
That is some trolling or if not terrible advice. 13 should be fine to match (particularly if you have a hone program.) And if you happen to not match, do research, make connections, and apply next year
(12-22-2019, 10:57 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 07:53 PM)Guest Wrote:

That is some trolling or if not terrible advice. 13 should be fine to match (particularly if you have a hone program.) And if you happen to not match, do research, make connections, and apply next year

I don't know if its terrible advice, seems like its reasonable for someone who failed to match after 13 interviews to delay graduation and reapply the following year. They likely slipped through the cracks and will be fine the next round. It will be easier than trying to apply and interview as a PGY1 gen surg prelim.
Agree with above. I don't understand the advice that folks give to do a gen surg PGY1 year and attempt to match. That is essentially wasted clinical time that you could be using to demonstrate more interest in neurosurgery, do research, make connections, and focus on interviews.
(12-23-2019, 04:47 PM)Guest Wrote: Agree with above.  I don't understand the advice that folks give to do a gen surg PGY1 year and attempt to match.  That is essentially wasted clinical time that you could be using to demonstrate more interest in neurosurgery, do research, make connections, and focus on interviews.
The only caveat is that being in an ACGME accredited PGY-1 prelim spot, if PGY-1 or PGY-2 spots open up because of attrition for whatever reason, you're poised to interview for and fill those.
how does one delay graduation, I didn't know that was possible? If I did would I still have to use my chairs letter? To be honest my chair is disliked in the community (based on what I'm hearing on my interviews) and wrote me a terrible letter, it basically just said I want to do neurosurgery while my subis had incredible letters saying "we'd be lucky to have him, ranking him to match". My concern if I delay graduation is I have to use his letter, should I consider that?

thank you everyone for taking the time honestly so lost so at least that gave me some insight, thanks!
(12-23-2019, 10:48 PM)Guest Wrote: how does one delay graduation, I didn't know that was possible? If I did would I still have to use my chairs letter? To be honest my chair is disliked in the community (based on what I'm hearing on my interviews) and wrote me a terrible letter, it basically just said I want to do neurosurgery while my subis had incredible letters saying "we'd be lucky to have him, ranking him to match". My concern if I delay graduation is I have to use his letter, should I consider that?

thank you everyone for taking the time honestly so lost so at least that gave me some insight, thanks!

You need to go through the Dean's office at your medical school. Instead of graduating in May or whatever they push your date back 1 year to let you apply again. This is commonly done at top schools for students who don't match into competitive specialties. The point is that you have the best possible chance of matching as a senior, graduating MD student at an American school. The second you graduate you become independent, so your school is actually doing you a huge favor by letting you try again. In terms of departmental letters, you'd likely still need a home letter, maybe from your mentor and someone else high up in the department?
(12-24-2019, 12:23 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-23-2019, 10:48 PM)Guest Wrote: how does one delay graduation, I didn't know that was possible? If I did would I still have to use my chairs letter? To be honest my chair is disliked in the community (based on what I'm hearing on my interviews) and wrote me a terrible letter, it basically just said I want to do neurosurgery while my subis had incredible letters saying "we'd be lucky to have him, ranking him to match". My concern if I delay graduation is I have to use his letter, should I consider that?

You need to go through the Dean's office at your medical school. Instead of graduating in May or whatever they push your date back 1 year to let you apply again. This is commonly done at top schools for students who don't match into competitive specialties. The point is that you have the best possible chance of matching as a senior, graduating MD student at an American school. The second you graduate you become independent, so your school is actually doing you a huge favor by letting you try again. In terms of departmental letters, you'd likely still need a home letter, maybe from your mentor and someone else high up in the department?

yea the vice chair saw my letter and was furious so I could ask him 
awesome! I'll talk to my deans and let them know im considering that. Thanks! What do you do during that time? just more electives ? 

thanks again, honestly, you guys are great
It's always best to try and prepare for the worst but 13 interviews does not seem that bad. I have seen plenty of people on the trail with that many interviews or less, am I the only one that feels like you still have a really good shot at matching? Charting the outcomes puts your chances at above 80%.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)