Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
UW
Has anyone rotated here and can share their experience? Which hospitals do you rotate through (since there are multiple affiliated ones)? Considering a sub-I here.
Rotated there recently, loved it.

2 weeks at Harborview: big county hospital which gets all the trauma and most of the vascular cases
1 week at UW: academic center with a small census of very sick patients, a lot of tumors done here as well
1 week at Seattle Children's: all the peds you can dream of

You only take overnight call at Harborview, which does mean you may have to schlep back and forth between hospitals depending on your schedule. A car is very helpful.

Overall this is not a malignant sub-i. The residents will appreciate your help but rarely, if ever, give you scut work. You'll see a huge variety of cases including some very cool skullbase. You won't scrub every case but when you do, you'll be involved. Especially emergency cases. Got along really well with the residents and attendings. The chair, Dr. Ellenbogen, is a really nice person and my understanding is he writes great letters. I didn't match there but it's also my understanding that they give huge preference to their sub-i's.
Any info on how many subI spots are available there?
What are the hours like?
(03-30-2017, 09:54 AM)Guest Wrote: Rotated there recently, loved it.

2 weeks at Harborview: big county hospital which gets all the trauma and most of the vascular cases
1 week at UW: academic center with a small census of very sick patients, a lot of tumors done here as well

You only take overnight call at Harborview, which does mean you may have to schlep back and forth between hospitals depending on your schedule. A car is very helpful.

Overall this is not a malignant sub-i. The residents will appreciate your help but rarely, if ever, give you scut work. You'll see a huge variety of cases including some very cool skullbase. You won't scrub every case but when you do, you'll be involved. Especially emergency cases. Got along really well with the residents and attendings. The chair, Dr. Ellenbogen, is a really nice person and my understanding is he writes great letters. I didn't match there but it's also my understanding that they give huge preference to their sub-i's.

So even on the weeks that you are at UW or Children's, your call will be at Harborview? 

How necessary is it to have a car, or would public transportation (or more likely Uber for early morning/late night transit) be sufficient? 

Preferable to stay closer to Children's/UW or to Harborview?

Any other words of suggestion? Thanks!

Nothing magical about Ellenbogen letters. He writes a lot because of a lot of sub I's, and it is very evident in his letters whether he was impressed or not... same with anyone who writes a lot. They will just say generic/neutral things if they don't have anything great to say... and a majority of letters from the big names come across this way. But for the few that they are truly interested in, it becomes very obvious because of the contrast to their generic ones
(06-04-2017, 04:30 PM)Guest Wrote:

So even on the weeks that you are at UW or Children's, your call will be at Harborview? 

How necessary is it to have a car, or would public transportation (or more likely Uber for early morning/late night transit) be sufficient? 

I too would appreciate if anyone had any thoughts on these questions
(06-11-2017, 12:32 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-04-2017, 04:30 PM)Guest Wrote:

I too would appreciate if anyone had any thoughts on these questions

OP here:

Even on weeks you're elsewhere during the day, your overnight call would be at Harborview. You'll have to head over there whenever your day ends at the other hospital. The residents were pretty understanding of the setup and never gave anyone crap for being late getting to Harborview in the evening.

I stayed close to UW/Children's and brought a car with me so I could drive to Harborview. Other rotators did the opposite and we all used Uber with little trouble when we needed to. The light rail runs from the UW campus through downtown and passes within about a half mile of Harborview, but I have no idea how well that will serve for a commute early in the morning.

You'll have to give a presentation at Grand Rounds (every Wednesday morning) usually in the last week of your rotation. This is probably your biggest moment to shine since it'll be everyone's else's chance to put faces to names before you leave and aren't seen again until interviews. So take it seriously and have something interesting to say!
Is on campus parking included or do we need to figure it out ourselves?
(06-17-2017, 04:30 PM)Guest Wrote: Is on campus parking included or do we need to figure it out ourselves?

On campus parking is not included at UW- its about 15-20 bucks per day depending on the hospital. Uber in the mornings and public transit/Uber in the evenings is likely the best call.

(07-22-2017, 09:43 AM)Tintinnabulum Wrote: Honestly what’s the score threshold for UW? Should I even look if I’m in the mid 240s? Also not sure if his is the right place to post this, especially as my first post.

Curious as to this as well- Any info from current residents/previous interviewees/sub-Is as to what they are looking for?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)