Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gap year by choice
Hello all, current M3 interested in neurosurgery. Have 10+ pubs, 20+ posters, and competitive step score. However, I feel like my life has revolved around neurosurgery completely for multiple years. I did not take a gap year after undergrad, but I have been considering taking one now by choice so I can have the opportunity to travel and have time for self-reflection and self-discovery (not necessarily to publish or bolster my application). I have no doubts about neurosurgery, but I understand that once residency starts that I won't be able to take this kind of time for myself.

Would this be a major red flag? Or would programs/PD's understand the intention and respect the decision?
In a word, it's a red flag. After a major life event or something similar, maybe, but a totally nonproductive year would just be interpreted as having doubts about the field. No matter what your intentions are
Red flag. Adding a research year while staying in med school if you could would be a better way to give yourself some time, though you'd have to continue to be productive academically during that time, but not participating in the match as a 4th year will cause you major problems at your med school. It's a move that a lot of the people who will interview will think reeks of millennial privilege.

Not to be discouraging, but I would also say that if you really think your life has revolved around neurosurgery as an M3, maybe you really should think about whether it's really what you want to do. It only dominates your life more and more from where you currently sit.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)