Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sub-I Pitt vs. UVA
Hi all,

MS3 here from a US Southern MD program, planning to do one away in the East either at Pitt or UVa. Heard great things about both programs just wondering if you guys could provide some information?
Bump. West coast MS3, I was wondering about Pitt and UVA as well.
Well Pitt and UVA are very different. Pitt is an operative powerhouse whereas UVA is more of the traditional academic neurosurgery vibe (arguably the original model for it). Both are good subi choices with good letter writers to choose from, but it is more a matter of choice as to what kind of program you are looking for. I personally recommend doing at least one heavy operator and one heavy academic subi because it will teach you about what you really want. All places have their pros and cons.
UVA sis the bomb. I did a sub I there. Loved it. Residents were awesome. Attendings are great. 10/10 would recommend.
(04-05-2017, 05:54 AM)Focus Wrote: Well Pitt and UVA are very different. Pitt is an operative powerhouse whereas UVA is more of the traditional academic neurosurgery vibe (arguably the original model for it). Both are good subi choices with good letter writers to choose from, but it is more a matter of choice as to what kind of program you are looking for. I personally recommend doing at least one heavy operator and one heavy academic subi because it will teach you about what you really want. All places have their pros and cons.

Thanks. Already planning to rotate at Barrow so I might not do a SubI at Pitt then. Isn't Pitt pretty academic? I think they're comparable with UVA in terms of resident publications
(04-05-2017, 12:23 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-05-2017, 05:54 AM)Focus Wrote: Well Pitt and UVA are very different. Pitt is an operative powerhouse whereas UVA is more of the traditional academic neurosurgery vibe (arguably the original model for it). Both are good subi choices with good letter writers to choose from, but it is more a matter of choice as to what kind of program you are looking for. I personally recommend doing at least one heavy operator and one heavy academic subi because it will teach you about what you really want. All places have their pros and cons.

Thanks. Already planning to rotate at Barrow so I might not do a SubI at Pitt then. Isn't Pitt pretty academic? I think they're comparable with UVA in terms of resident publications

Certainly more academic than the barrow but its more of a hybrid between classically academic places like columbia and uva. When U think of academic I tend to think beyond just research output but also a place that has tons of mandatory conferences, more time to read, and generally a place that prepares residents on the why early and the how later. High volume programs tend to be more of the how now and the why later on.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)