Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work Space / Call Rooms
At a fairly well known program. We recently have been undergoing remodeling and current plans are to have no dedicated space for neurosurgery. All the call rooms would be hotel style (having to call to reserve and the potential for none being available) as well as no dedicated work room (only shared space with all other specialities including nursing). This is at the large level 1 trauma center with 24 hour calls not our community hospital. At present there is also no personal place to put personal items including laptops backpacks ect. 

Is this is common or ever seen at other places? Also are there any obvious ACGME violations with this?
M4 here. I did rotate at a hospital that has hotel style call rooms as you described. It was no big deal. They had plenty to accommodate the demand. The lack of a dedicated private work room would bother me much more.
The ACGME requires programs to have a space dedicated to resident education, we call it the our resident library. I don't think you're required to have a work room exactly, but some dedicated space for residents is required.
(02-27-2020, 10:18 PM)Guest Wrote: The ACGME requires programs to have a space dedicated to resident education, we call it the our resident library. I don't think you're required to have a work room exactly, but some dedicated space for residents is required.

Thanks. Currently we have both a resident library and work room, however administration is essentially trying to land grab it away from us to make more beds for the cash. Is there anywhere in the ACGME information you know of that lists this as a requirement? The "ACGME Common Program Requirements" does not have it listed. It would be an enormous help if you or anyone else knew of anywhere that this requirement is listed.
(02-28-2020, 12:23 AM)Guest Wrote:
(02-27-2020, 10:18 PM)Guest Wrote: The ACGME requires programs to have a space dedicated to resident education, we call it the our resident library. I don't think you're required to have a work room exactly, but some dedicated space for residents is required.

Thanks. Currently we have both a resident library and work room, however administration is essentially trying to land grab it away from us to make more beds for the cash. Is there anywhere in the ACGME information you know of that lists this as a requirement? The "ACGME Common Program Requirements" does not have it listed. It would be an enormous help if you or anyone else knew of anywhere that this requirement is listed.

The General Medical Education Committee at your program, specifically the subcommittee on accreditation will have the specific wording available and would also be the people to report it to. My general recollection is that you have to have somewhere to put your stuff and sit allocated to residents as well as fellows. It does not have to be particularly functional however. For example maybe they have a desk for you and your coresidents in a closet five miles away from where you actually work.
A good work room could mitigate the impact of a lack of call rooms. Especially if there is a couch or comfortable chair to sleep in.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)