Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Success Story
Question 
Anyone ever apply or currently applying with a red flag and still manage to get a decent number of interviews? 

Huh
how do you define red flag?
I went unmatched last year. Got 20+ invites
What was your flag, guest?
(03-03-2020, 10:03 PM)Guest Wrote: I went unmatched last year. Got 20+ invites

What was the difference? How many interviews did you attend last year?
Pristine CV, 20+ interviews, had a bad letter and didn't match.

If you find out you're in a similar boat, talk to a mentor and consider pulling out of interview season. Unfortunately programs oftentimes screen applicants in for interviews by looking at scores and # of pubs and don't look at your letters until interview day.
Is being a FMG a red flag?
not a red flag per se, just way harder. Need lots of research and someone who's pulling strings for you
(03-21-2020, 12:57 AM)Guest Wrote: Is being a FMG a red flag?

I am an FMG. A former successful applicant. Yes, I hate to say this but it is. There are so many obstracles and adversary that you face as well as behind-the-scene challenges that you don’t even realize you are facing when you are applying and going for interviews.

Always remember that any U.S. residency spots in any fields are originally designed for US medical graduates. Not for us. I don’t know where you are from but if i reverse the role, in my country, they would almost never take FMGs or American medical graduates. That is the beauty of the American system. I always try to be appreciative of that. They are graciously giving us the chance to challenge ourselves in this most competitive field. For them to say “yes we gotta take him,” you have to be super lucky (I was) or extraordinarily stellar when compared with other IMGs or AMGs. Happy to answer if you have any questions.
Thank you for weighing in on this as a successful IMG applicant. Could you elaborate on those challenges? Something you wish you knew before starting with research and the whole process at all?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)