Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coronavirus and aways
It looks like GW med isn’t allowing med students to travel. I’m sure more med schools will pull the trigger in the coming weeks.. what implications will this have for away rotations and the upcoming cycle?
You are expecting whom to know this answer?
My program mentioned all always would be cancelled. This is insane
(03-08-2020, 01:40 AM)Guest Wrote: It looks like GW med isn’t allowing med students to travel. I’m sure more med schools will pull the trigger in the coming weeks.. what implications will this have for away rotations and the upcoming cycle?

There's no way the majority of schools will completely ban aways. Those that do, their students just won't match into surgical subspecialties.
I wonder if AANS will be cancelled. Lots of other spring academic conferences have already shut it down
I thought it was university-sponsored travel that was banned? This is done on our own dime so I figured that wouldn't count.
Bring on the subis. Doctors should know better.
Is general consensus around the country to follow SNS guidelines? So everyone is just doing 8 weeks at home (or nearest ACGME if no home program)? And then getting 2 letters from this rotation plus adding a letter from M3 gen surg rotation?

Seems like I'm seeing/hearing people still doing or applying for aways and want to make sure I'm not missing out.
Yes, that is the consensus. Updated and consistent guidelines from the SNS are coming very soon, with reiteration of the letter requirement from a general surgery rotation. Ultimately, this is your application that is being submitted, and if you want to do an away rotation/find an institution willing to accept you, I would 1) plan on getting your application thrown out by many leading academic institutions, both now and during your fellowship search; and 2) question what kind of program director would go rogue against these guidelines that were proposed for the benefit of public health. If you are that concerned about geographic constraints and/or the reputation of your home program, take a year off.
(05-31-2020, 03:38 PM)Guest Wrote: Yes, that is the consensus. Updated and consistent guidelines from the SNS are coming very soon, with reiteration of the letter requirement from a general surgery rotation. Ultimately, this is your application that is being submitted, and if you want to do an away rotation/find an institution willing to accept you, I would 1) plan on getting your application thrown out by many leading academic institutions, both now and during your fellowship search; and 2) question what kind of program director would go rogue against these guidelines that were proposed for the benefit of public health. If you are that concerned about geographic constraints and/or the reputation of your home program, take a year off.

1) plan on getting your application thrown out by many leading academic institutions, both now and during your fellowship search”

The fuck you talking about? Fellowships could not care less where you did away rotations.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)