Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neurosurgeon FALLING OFF?????
As an aside you should get specialty specific disability insurance during residency at least by year 4 if not from the start
Anyone who thinks that even a sizable fraction of people going into VC or landing a job at one of the big 3 consulting firms will make "1-2mil by the time you're in your mid-30s" is high. Not even close to correct. A handful of those people will make that by their mid-40s. Source: half a dozen friends who got those jobs out of college, went to a top 5 business school, and still are not making that by their late 30s.

If you're smart enough and driven enough to become a neurosurgeon, then neurosurgery is a terrible choice to maximize cash flow. Just don't do it. Remember: if money is all that you care about, then that's what you'll receive.
You getting a lot of salary data on the trail? This just isn't true.

As someone finishing residency looking into jobs. Average big academic center salaries are between 500k-750k starting, chairs typically making somewhere between 1-1.5 mil. PP jobs are usually around 800k-1.1mil starting, with partners making anywhere from 2-5 mil/year. This is outside of your stake in ASCs which can net you 500k-1mil/year on TOP of that, each.

It's a lazy assessment saying simply RVU reimbursement will decrease = salaries decrease. What you're actually going to see is value based reimbursement, bundled payments for episodes of care. There's nothing that provides value better than ASCs, the one's academic institutions won't let you take part in (aside from 2 or 3 examples in the country, very rare). Academics will struggle with their bread and butter cases costing 5x what they do in PP settings. Where do you think these behemoth academic centers are going to cut costs for this? You will be first.

Academics is basically doing charity work, you're making literal millions of dollars less, to work twice as much, with 10 different bosses with bachelors degrees. You're either a really good person, or you need your ego stroked.
There are additional ways for a neurosurgeon to make money if you collaborate with biotech. I've hard of spine surgeons working with companies like Medtronic, Stryker, etc.
Who is the guy always replying to himself? Is he the 2M-a-year PP spine surgeon???

Anyways, just imagine if everyone thinks like you fools here. Just imagine if everyone only thinks about money. Who will push the field forward? Who will find cures?
(02-13-2023, 02:54 AM)Guest Wrote: Who is the guy always replying to himself? Is he the 2M-a-year PP spine surgeon???

Anyways, just imagine if everyone thinks like you fools here. Just imagine if everyone only thinks about money. Who will push the field forward? Who will find cures?

Yo mama
Keep that naive outlook as long as you can. It usually gets crushed midway through intern year. Neurosurgeons don't change anything, even the one's you look up to just found a smart PhD to actually do the work and they get thrown on the papers for providing samples.
No one is pushing the field forward, that’s what we’re telling you about the futility and pointlessness of academia. Ur just getting paid less, for more hassle, and zero progress.

Whoever mentioned that academic salaries are steadily increasing, that’s simply an inaccurate statement. They are not. And rather than the large institutions absorbing neurosurgery overhead and paying them more,, it’s rather the opposite. Neurosurgeons in academia get paid less, and the institutions gobble up their income/RVUs and use it to pay for less profitable specialties, like pediatrics, geriatrics, etc.

PP neurosurgical practices can pay their surgeons more because they’re not carrying the dead weight of other specialties and tons of useless administrators. Also, as someone astutely pointed out, their is huge income derived from ownership of surgery centers, PT, imaging, etc.

All these Med student clowns who don’t believe it are just brainwashed. You don’t have to believe me. Trust me, I am absolutely thrilled that all these new grads want to go into academics, because it’s less competition for me in the community. Every single one of you that ignorantly sucks at the teat of academia is quite literally putting money in my pocket.
You people are so unimaginative. Do what you find interesting, and do it well. You'll land somewhere on the spectrum between North Dakota private practice spine surgeon and academic department chair who doesn't operate, and you'll be rewarded appropriately. We have a beautiful profession that allows for diversity in thought, and find a residency program that cultivates YOU.
What about evidence-based medicine? In academia you treat your patients based on research and expert guidelines. If not, the residents and students with notice and tell you. By contrast, in PP, I've noticed that doctors just do any random thing and patients get very poor quality care.

In PP, doctors do whatever makes them the most money and so they do unnecessary procedures to make money. I wouldn't want to do unessary operations on patients just to make money, but PP do it a lot.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)