Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mississippi (UMMC) sub-i experience
Thumbs Up 
I wanted to write a summary on my sub-i experience at at the University of Mississippi Medical Center (UMMC). When I was searching for sub-is, I wanted to see different programs in focus, geography...etc and wanted to check out a program with tight group of residents and camaraderie.  I started asking my friends and colleagues and was pointed to UMMC. It was the first time for me to visit Mississippi but really enjoyed my month there. I can tell you that it is the best group of residents I have ever seen. I did multiple sub-is at different places including those top tier names but have never seen a great group as Mississippi. 

There are two services (vascular/tumors) and spine besides pediatrics. You have the choice to pick the cases you are interested in or you can ask the residents for their recommendation. Myself didn't spend a week in pediatrics and preferred to spend the 4 weeks with the residents. Teams work in shifts (6 am to 6pm) and nightfloat person starts at 6 pm. PGY2 and PGY3 alternate between spine/cranial/nightfloat blocks one month each. You show up around 6 am or before if you have cases to present so you can pre-round on patients. NICU dry rounds start at 7 am where residents, 1-2 neurosurgery attendings and neurointensivists attend for management plans. Then you go to the OR. If you finish before 6 pm, you can go to the residents' room for the sign out at 6 pm. You are not required to take night calls but I did take around 4-5 calls to see how nights look like. It's level one trauma center and the only neurosurgery program in the Sate so expect a lot of trauma- but extremely crazy. Grand rounds are every Wednesday. You are required to give a talk about your research or a literature review. It's a 30-45 minutes talk so be well prepared. You can go to clinics whenever you want. The research block is 8 months during your 4th year.

As I mentioned before, the work environment and collegiality makes this program very special and unique. Residents hangout together several times a month and they would like to talk with you and get to know you better. Even I remember that one attending invited me with the residents to his house for burgers over the weekend. I had a really great time with the residents and worked mostly with Kelsey, Chris, Paul, Joaquin, Patrick and Drew. The chiefs Jason, Ali and Brandon were great and graduated together last year so unfortunately you will not see them. Sorry if I don't recall all residents' names because it has been almost a year. 

All faculty are laid back and treat you as a colleague and part of the family. You get to see unique cases and some rare presentations. Drs. Luzardo and Washington are vascular/skull base. Dr. Luzardo is  the program director. He is very fast and does complex skull base surgeries like posterior petrosal approach for petroclival meningioma. Dr. Washington directs the research program and very interested to hear about your research. Drs. Harkey (the chair), Tullis and Marks are spine where you get to see deformity, MIS and all spine surgeries. Dr. Rey-Dios is tumor and skull base. Dr. Shifflet is the pediatric neurosurgeon (the only pediatric neurosurgeon in the State). Dr. Parent is the past chair and he attends the grand rounds and interviews but he doesn't operate anymore. Dr. Uribe is the new functional neurosurgeon and unfortunately I was unable to work with him because he was finishing his fellowship then. Dr. Perkins is a scientist and is involved in research and anatomical studies. He also gives the presentation during the interviews.

The staff and nurses are very friendly and nice. Ms. Robin French is the coordinator and she is always helpful and happy to answer your questions. Mses. Jennifer and Tammy are also very friendly and you will get to work with them in the clinic. The staff also help the residents in writing notes and discharge summaries which is another plus.

You will be interviewed during your sub-i, but if your sub-i is early in the season you will be given the choice to come back again for an interview during the interviews season if you want (this is what happened to me).  Jackson is big in sport which is typical in the south. It's very cheap and most of residents have family and own houses and cars. The crime rate is relatively high but it's not different than most of the cities I went for interviews e.g., Baltimore, Chicago, Atlanta, Detroit...etc.

I really liked the program and it was at the top of my list and will miss this great group and family. Sorry if I forgot to mention all names or part of the sub-i experience because it has been almost a year. Again, this place is unique and you will live very happy 7 years. The work shift of 6 am to 6 pm is special. Having a supportive staff who help in your notes and minimize the scut work is a huge plus. After you will be done with your sub-is/interviews and have a big picture on balance between neurosurgery, life and family, you will realize that happy 7 years are way important than malignant 7 years just because of the name. I will be happy to answer any question.
It is painfully obvious that this was written by someone at the program and not someone who actually did a sub-i. A shame for those of us looking for real insight.
How nice of that resident to write a glowing review of their own program like that.
(04-05-2017, 05:45 PM)Guest Wrote: It is painfully obvious that this was written by someone at the program and not someone who actually did a sub-i. A shame for those of us looking for real insight.

I am who wrote this thread. I am not affiliated with the program because I matched at another program. I rotated there last year and thought the program and residents were awesome. No need for second guesses or negative thoughts here. If you have a question about a program, I will try to answer to the best of my memory.
(04-05-2017, 06:52 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-05-2017, 05:45 PM)Guest Wrote: It is painfully obvious that this was written by someone at the program and not someone who actually did a sub-i. A shame for those of us looking for real insight.

I am who wrote this thread. I am not affiliated with the program because I matched at another program. I rotated there last year and thought the program and residents were awesome. No need for second guesses or negative thoughts here. If you have a question about a program, I will try to answer to the best of my memory.

Where else did you rotate, where did you match?
(04-05-2017, 06:54 PM)Guest Wrote:

I also rotated at other 3 programs; one top 10 school as operative powerhouse and research, one top 10 school more research and academic focus that operative experience, and a third top in academic neurosurgery. I can't name the places or the location of my program for obvious reasons. My goal from this thread is to provide a feedback on a program I liked, not to reveal my identity.
(04-05-2017, 07:05 PM)Guest Wrote:

I also rotated at other 3 programs; one top 10 school as operative powerhouse and research, one top 10 school more research and academic focus that operative experience, and a third top in academic neurosurgery. I can't name the places or the location of my program for obvious reasons. My goal from this thread is to provide a feedback on a program I liked, not to reveal my identity.

Not trying to give you a hard time but it's just very difficult to believe that this was written by someone who did a sub-i there but didn't match there. Generally, after people match, they post a summary (usually much shorter) about all the places they rotated at. The fact that you supposedly chose to only write about one of your sub-i's and didn't even match there makes it tough to believe.
(04-05-2017, 07:08 PM)Guest Wrote:

Not trying to give you a hard time but it's just very difficult to believe that this was written by someone who did a sub-i there but didn't match there. Generally, after people match, they post a summary (usually much shorter) about all the places they rotated at. The fact that you supposedly chose to only write about one of your sub-i's and didn't even match there makes it tough to believe.

I understand where are you coming from. I wanted to write this long time ago but delayed it for post-match. The other programs I rotated at already have feedbacks from other posters. I don't need to write on a place just because I matched there. Think positive. If you have any doubt, go and check the program by yourself.
(04-05-2017, 07:22 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-05-2017, 06:52 PM)Guest Wrote: I am who wrote this thread. I am not affiliated with the program because I matched at another program. I rotated there last year and thought the program and residents were awesome. No need for second guesses or negative thoughts here. If you have a question about a program, I will try to answer to the best of my memory.

I understand where are you coming from. I wanted to write this long time ago but delayed it for post-match. The other programs I rotated at already have feedbacks from other posters. I don't need to write on a place just because I matched there. Think positive. If you have any doubt, go and check the program by yourself.

Fair enough, thanks for taking the time to write something up.
(04-05-2017, 09:19 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-05-2017, 07:22 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-05-2017, 06:54 PM)Guest Wrote: Where else did you rotate, where did you match?

Fair enough, thanks for taking the time to write something up.
No one will know who you are if you write another detailed review of another place you subi'd at. For that reason, you're fooling no one

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)