Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forced Resign - Reapply
Has anyone ever been forced to resign mid residency and then found a spot at another program?  Are there ways to improve oneself to become a better applicant.  Or is forced resignation pretty much career ending.
What is a force resign?
M4 here. I don't know all the intricacies of how to find a position, but I do know of residents being either fired or forced to resign from my home program and finding new positions. There are also residents at my program that were let go at other programs and found positions here. So, it is not necessarily a career ender. Although, I suspect it partially depends on the reasons for why you were forced to resign and how you are going to improve so that it won't happen again. Good luck to you.
^^ What the M4 said is very insightful and 100% correct. The reasons surrounding your resignation and if there was a bad breakup with your former program are huge. These almost completely dictate whether or not you will be able to find a program and resume training, from what I've learned. Feel free to PM me, I am in a similar situation and would be happy to be helpful however I can be.
Tough situation.  But honestly if a program doesn't like you or has ulterior motives... they can FIND a reason and fire ANY resident in that program.  Everyone has issues at some level, and its whether or not they choose to document and persist on it is key.  They can make any little mistake into a big deal.  Example, you have the attending who bashes residents, rude to scrub techs, makes inappropriate comments...but makes the program/hospital $$$... then everyone will choose to be quiet.  You have a resident who does tons of research, well liked but does unprofessional behavior, they might slap you on the wrist.  Politics in the hospital world are in unfortunate thing, especially academic medicine.
(04-13-2020, 11:30 AM)Guest Wrote: Tough situation.  But honestly if a program doesn't like you or has ulterior motives... they can FIND a reason and fire ANY resident in that program.  Everyone has issues at some level, and its whether or not they choose to document and persist on it is key.  They can make any little mistake into a big deal.  Example, you have the attending who bashes residents, rude to scrub techs, makes inappropriate comments...but makes the program/hospital $$$... then everyone will choose to be quiet.  You have a resident who does tons of research, well liked but does unprofessional behavior, they might slap you on the wrist.  Politics in the hospital world are in unfortunate thing, especially academic medicine.

not true. nearly impossible to fire a resident these days. unless they show up to work in a MAGA hat
just take a look at dmc
(04-13-2020, 07:36 PM)baston Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 11:30 AM)Guest Wrote: Tough situation.  But honestly if a program doesn't like you or has ulterior motives... they can FIND a reason and fire ANY resident in that program.  Everyone has issues at some level, and its whether or not they choose to document and persist on it is key.  They can make any little mistake into a big deal.  Example, you have the attending who bashes residents, rude to scrub techs, makes inappropriate comments...but makes the program/hospital $$$... then everyone will choose to be quiet.  You have a resident who does tons of research, well liked but does unprofessional behavior, they might slap you on the wrist.  Politics in the hospital world are in unfortunate thing, especially academic medicine.

dead on

Hahaha that’s what UCSD did to their resident from UCSF
Don't burn any bridges, leave on good terms as best as possible, and ask for help with finding a new position.
(04-13-2020, 11:15 PM)Guest Wrote: Don't burn any bridges, leave on good terms as best as possible, and ask for help with finding a new position.

When do new positions open?  I have asked about 30 programs or so and either no email replies back or there are no residency openings.  Have people waited months (i.e. Decebmber/Jan)... even a year to restart their residency?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)