Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Types of Programs
Hi all. Currently an M3 student applying this cycle. 

I noticed on a previous thread that a poster discussed picking a program based on the type of applicant you are, so wanted to get resident input to help out the medical students applying by creating this thread to discuss the different types of neurosurgical residency programs.

Highest Surgical Volume:
Highest Surgical Autonomy:
Highest Case Diversity:
Best Wet Lab Opportunities:
Best Clinical Research Opportunities:
Best Innovative Opportunities:
Healthiest Resident-Attending Dynamic:

Lowest Surgical Volume:
Lowest Surgical Autonomy:
Lowest Case Diversity:
Poor Wet Lab Opportunities:
Poor Clinical Research Opportunities:
Poor Innovative Opportunities:
Unhealthy Resident-Attending Dynamic:

Thank you to anyone who contributes!
(05-06-2020, 11:41 PM)Guest Wrote: Hi all. Currently an M3 student applying this cycle. 

I noticed on a previous thread that a poster discussed picking a program based on the type of applicant you are, so wanted to get resident input to help out the medical students applying by creating this thread to discuss the different types of neurosurgical residency programs.

Highest Surgical Volume:
Highest Case Diversity:

Lowest Surgical Volume:
Lowest Case Diversity:

I'm a senior resident so it's been a little while since I applied and this is by no means comprehensive. Also I really wouldn't put programs on blast like that.

Programs with high volume/complexity in a predominantly elective practice: BNI, Mayo, Carolinas, Cleveland Clinic 
Programs with high volume due to the presence of a major county hospital and/or busy level 1 trauma center: USC, UW, Miami, Pitt, UT Memphis, Emory, UT Houston
Autonomy (this is so subjective and biased towards programs with which people have experience or close friends): BNI, Mayo, USC, Pitt, Miami, UT Memphis
Amazing basic science opportunities: UCSF (balanced, also high volume), MGH, BWH, Columbia, Stanford, Duke, Penn, Hopkins, Wash U, Michigan
Culture (residents are treated well with less yelling and toxic BS): BNI, Mayo, Michigan, UNC
(05-07-2020, 02:28 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-06-2020, 11:41 PM)Guest Wrote: Hi all. Currently an M3 student applying this cycle. 

Highest Surgical Volume:
Highest Case Diversity:

Lowest Surgical Volume:
Lowest Case Diversity:

I'm a senior resident so it's been a little while since I applied and this is by no means comprehensive. Also I really wouldn't put programs on blast like that.

Programs with high volume/complexity in a predominantly elective practice: BNI, Mayo, Carolinas, Cleveland Clinic 
Programs with high volume due to the presence of a major county hospital and/or busy level 1 trauma center: USC, UW, Miami, Pitt, UT Memphis, Emory, UT Houston
Autonomy (this is so subjective and biased towards programs with which people have experience or close friends): BNI, Mayo, USC, Pitt, Miami, UT Memphis
Amazing basic science opportunities: UCSF (balanced, also high volume), MGH, BWH, Columbia, Stanford, Duke, Penn, Hopkins, Wash U, Michigan
Culture (residents are treated well with less yelling and toxic BS): BNI, Mayo, Michigan, UNC

Would also add NYU as program with high autonomy and volume due to the presence of a major county hospital and/or busy level 1 trauma center

Also, most programs that cover a VA hospital tend toward more operative autonomy
Programs with high volume/complexity in a predominantly elective practice: BNI, Mayo, Carolinas, Cleveland Clinic
Autonomy (this is so subjective and biased towards programs with which people have experience or close friends): BNI, Mayo, USC, Pitt, Miami, UT Memphis
Amazing basic science opportunities: UCSF (balanced, also high volume), MGH, BWH, Columbia, Stanford, Duke, Penn, Hopkins, Wash U, Michigan
Culture (residents are treated well with less yelling and toxic BS): BNI, Mayo, Michigan, UNC, Wisconsin
Added a few to keep the running list going

Programs with high volume/complexity in a predominantly elective practice: BNI, Mayo, Carolinas, Cleveland Clinic
Programs with high volume due to the presence of a major county hospital and/or busy level 1 trauma center: USC, UW, Miami, Pitt, UT Memphis, Emory, UT Houston, NYU
Autonomy (this is so subjective and biased towards programs with which people have experience or close friends): BNI, Mayo, USC, Pitt, Miami, UT Memphis
Amazing basic science opportunities: UCSF (balanced, also high volume), MGH, BWH, Columbia, Stanford, Duke, Penn, Hopkins, Wash U, Michigan
Culture (residents are treated well with less yelling and toxic BS): BNI, Mayo, Michigan, UNC, Wisconsin, UAB, MUSC, OHSU
(05-07-2020, 10:01 AM)Guest Wrote: Added a few to keep the running list going

Programs with high volume due to the presence of a major county hospital and/or busy level 1 trauma center: USC, UW, Miami, Pitt, UT Memphis, Emory, UT Houston, NYU
Culture (residents are treated well with less yelling and toxic BS): BNI, Mayo, Michigan, UNC, Wisconsin, MUSC, OHSU

Some nice additions but I took UAB off the last line. Great program - high volume, lots of big names, but you can't really in good conscience put it under the "less yelling and toxic BS" category. Wisconsin is a great addition, I forgot how great their culture is.
(05-07-2020, 02:28 AM)Guest Wrote:

Highest Surgical Volume:
Highest Case Diversity:

Lowest Surgical Volume:
Lowest Case Diversity:

Carolinas is more of a high-volume low complexity program. Anything more than a 3-level ACDF gets turfed elsewhere. Gets an outsized amount of attention on this forum.
(05-07-2020, 12:48 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-07-2020, 02:28 AM)Guest Wrote: I'm a senior resident so it's been a little while since I applied and this is by no means comprehensive. Also I really wouldn't put programs on blast like that.

Carolinas is more of a high-volume low complexity program. Anything more than a 3-level ACDF gets turfed elsewhere. Gets an outsized amount of attention on this forum.

Hmm maybe. I remember during our interview they showed us case breakdowns and it looked like they did quite a bit of skull base (OZs, far laterals), CEAs, big deformity whacks. Tony Asher does a lot of posterior fossa stuff. Since they only have 1/year I'm sure their residents can get exposed to those. Maybe things have changed although I'm sure they have a lot of basic degen spine.
Programs with high volume/complexity in a predominantly elective practice: BNI, Mayo, Carolinas, Cleveland Clinic, Jeff, UCSF
Programs with high volume due to the presence of a major county hospital and/or busy level 1 trauma center: USC, UW, Miami, Pitt, UT Memphis, Emory, UT Houston, NYU, UAB
Autonomy (this is so subjective and biased towards programs with which people have experience or close friends): BNI, Mayo, USC, Pitt, Miami, UT Memphis, Jeff, Iowa, USF
Culture (residents are treated well with less yelling and toxic BS): BNI, Mayo, Michigan, UNC, Wisconsin, MUSC, OHSU
Always a caveat to these lists: residency is what you make of it. This is so true of everything in life that it's basically a tautology.

The only things that you have no control over are how others around you act. That includes attendings and your co-residents. You will also have less ability to control what case mix you see - but even if you go to the busiest place with the most complex cases, you'll get little out of it if you don't show up.

Research is strikingly dependent on the resident. Some people can get amazing things done in the least likely of places. If you're doing good work then your attendings will get out of your way.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)