Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dogs during residency
Any residents have dogs during residency? Possible +/- partner?
(05-15-2020, 10:15 PM)Guest Wrote: Any residents have dogs during residency? Possible +/- partner?

Will either need a roommate who can care for the dog during the day or be willing to hire a walker several times per day and/or someone to take to dog daycare depending on the dog’s activity level.
Got a small dog to start residency (~5lbs). Keeps himself entertained throughout the day and doesn't need too much activity. Wife works 9-5 and 1 or 2 times a week we send him to a daycare. He's a perfectly happy pup and it's worked out well for us.

If our dog was any bigger or required any more activity there would be no way it would be possible, even with us 2. Unless you have a SO of family member that can dedicate time to them it's not fair to the dog. You will see that dog 1-2 hours/day when you come home, and on average for 1 weekend day, so if there's not someone else helping dont do it. And unless you have a nice fenced in yard you can let him run around in all day get a small breed.
(05-17-2020, 07:02 AM)Guest Wrote: Got a small dog to start residency (~5lbs). Keeps himself entertained throughout the day and doesn't need too much activity. Wife works 9-5 and 1 or 2 times a week we send him to a daycare. He's a perfectly happy pup and it's worked out well for us.

If our dog was any bigger or required any more activity there would be no way it would be possible, even with us 2. Unless you have a SO of family member that can dedicate time to them it's not fair to the dog. You will see that dog 1-2 hours/day when you come home, and on average for 1 weekend day, so if there's not someone else helping dont do it. And unless you have a nice fenced in yard you can let him run around in all day get a small breed.

A 5 pound dog isn't a dog.
(05-17-2020, 09:40 AM)Guest Wrote:
(05-17-2020, 07:02 AM)Guest Wrote: Got a small dog to start residency (~5lbs). Keeps himself entertained throughout the day and doesn't need too much activity. Wife works 9-5 and 1 or 2 times a week we send him to a daycare. He's a perfectly happy pup and it's worked out well for us.

Not only is he a dog, he's a very good boy.
(05-17-2020, 09:40 AM)Guest Wrote:

Lol a 5 lbs dog is definitely a dog...a more expensive dog... Big Grin
Have had a dog since pgy4. I live alone. Dog needs to be friendly. I walk him before going in and when I get home. I have a dog walker come around 2 or 3 so he is never more than 12 hours without a walk. When I have had call I put him in a kennel that picks up dogs and had a key. Bottom line it is doable and becomes more doable with seniority. It is, however, very expensive and costs more than my own monthly grocery bill.
I think it depends on your social network, the breed type, and the individual dog.

I got a husky 2nd year as an attending. No way that would have worked during early residency when I was living alone. It barely went over well when my husband was at home 24/7 with a toddler because the dog also wants/needs constant attention and if it's rainy and she can't go outside to run, she whines. She's a great dog and we all love her but she is needy AF. The chow-chow I had growing up was much better at being left home alone during the day, although she was too territorial to be left with other people or even let other people come into the house to check on her. If both of us are away from the house for longer than 4 hours, we take her to the dog sitter. There are some vicious and large wild animals in the woods/lake behind our house so we don't feel safe leaving her outside during the day when we are gone. Hubby got her enrolled in special obedience school for K9s and she loved it. Now he's wanting to train her as a therapy dog at the children's hospital where I work since she is so great with little kids.
Thanks for the responses everyone. I do have a supportive partner, and plan on getting a small to medium dog, so it sounds like this will be feasible!!
(05-18-2020, 01:44 PM)Guest Wrote: Thanks for the responses everyone. I do have a supportive partner, and plan on getting a small to medium dog, so it sounds like this will be feasible!!

Good luck to you and your dog!

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)