Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Return to NSG Plans
Anyone successful after forced resign coming back to neurosurgery within a year or so?  What did you do to get in?

I plan on getting my MBA in the meantime, creating a startup and emailing programs q3months to see if they have an opening.  I’ll probably go to neurosurgery conferences and maybe hangout with a local department.  My thoughts are is it a waste for the opportunity cost of doing research or going to meetings if it’s not going to help get you in in the end?  Should I pursue another speciality?  

Thoughts?
Can't just casually throw out there that you were forced to resign. That's rare, and a big deal for any programs looking to hire you.

You getting back in the game depends on why you got fired, how bad it was, and how willing folks at your old program are to go to bat for you.
From my limited and unfortunate experience thus far -

Nothing you do or accomplish after being fired can help you. To mirror what the last poster said, literally EVERYTHING hinges on the circumstances of your departure and the support of the department. And even with these things on your side - it is an immense uphill battle.
(05-18-2020, 12:45 PM)Guest Wrote: Can't just casually throw out there that you were forced to resign. That's rare, and a big deal for any programs looking to hire you.

You getting back in the game depends on why you got fired, how bad it was, and how willing folks at your old program are to go to bat for you.
Its for "professionalism"...the reason most people are asked to leave or get fired because its subjective and if you are not liked or valued they can fill in the blank to make you not meet the goal.

Should I have taken probation?  They said a probation would be a technicality to a firing (instead of a period to show I bettered myself).  I really feel it was an unfair situation that once a program puts a target on your back you are on a uphill battle.  I feel there are a lot of politics within medicine.  Also the things that I have done to get in this position... people have done many worse things in my program and have stayed just because they are favored.

I just don't know if I am wasting my time applying or hoping to get into another program.
(05-18-2020, 01:12 PM)Hmm Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 12:45 PM)Guest Wrote: Can't just casually throw out there that you were forced to resign. That's rare, and a big deal for any programs looking to hire you.

Its for "professionalism"...the reason most people are asked to leave or get fired because its subjective and if you are not liked or valued they can fill in the blank to make you not meet the goal.

Should I have taken probation?  They said a probation would be a technicality to a firing (instead of a period to show I bettered myself).  I really feel it was an unfair situation that once a program puts a target on your back you are on a uphill battle.  I feel there are a lot of politics within medicine.  Also the things that I have done to get in this position... people have done many worse things in my program and have stayed just because they are favored.

I just don't know if I am wasting my time applying or hoping to get into another program.

What kind of program? Academic, community-based? Private, public?
(05-18-2020, 01:14 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-18-2020, 01:12 PM)Hmm Wrote:

What kind of program? Academic, community-based? Private, public?

Any program.  I would be grateful to continue anywhere.  Maybe a brand new program would be ideal.
what you will find is that

there is no difference between probation then termination, forced resign, contract non-renewal, etc. It's all the same at the end of the day, because ultimately its leaving a program, in addition the program will always be getting a phone call and they will get to explain the situation to their colleagues

the differences between those things are just for HR/GME and ease of pushing you out
What about a pre residency fellowship?

What about another speciality? Are you black mailed from any speciality?

What about international residency?

Has any called or emailed GWU to see f they are filling their spot? I did both without reply.
GWU not filling.
Why would a program not fill?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)