Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
MD/PhD student interested in neurosurgery
Currently in the second year of my PhD. First paper out, expect two more before I graduate.

Step 1 mid 250s, haven't taken step 2. 

I come from an institution where clerkships are done before the PhD. I already rotated on neurosurgery, loved the cases, acuity of the patients, technology. Interacted well with the residents and got good evals.

One potential "snag" is that I haven't really kept in touch with the department since rotating. I tried to set up a clinical project to do on the side the first year of my PhD, but after several months of back and forth it was apparent that I needed to be dedicated 24/7, so that quickly faded away.

Does this matter? Is there anything I should be doing to stay relevant before my home sub-I? The PD and the chair are aware of who I am but I haven't interacted with them much. Our associate PD is a strong advocate, I sat down with them after I completed my rotation and was generally assured about my situation, but wasn't given any specific instructions.
(04-15-2017, 06:43 PM)smithers Wrote: Currently in the second year of my PhD. First paper out, expect two more before I graduate.

Step 1 mid 250s, haven't taken step 2. 

I come from an institution where clerkships are done before the PhD. I already rotated on neurosurgery, loved the cases, acuity of the patients, technology. Interacted well with the residents and got good evals.

One potential "snag" is that I haven't really kept in touch with the department since rotating. I tried to set up a clinical project to do on the side the first year of my PhD, but after several months of back and forth it was apparent that I needed to be dedicated 24/7, so that quickly faded away.

Does this matter? Is there anything I should be doing to stay relevant before my home sub-I? The PD and the chair are aware of who I am but I haven't interacted with them much. Our associate PD is a strong advocate, I sat down with them after I completed my rotation and was generally assured about my situation, but wasn't given any specific instructions.

nope. keep a low profile. focus on grad school.
I'm curious.. what did you decide to do your thesis topic on.
Looking at the 2016 match report for US seniors, out of 20 MD/PhD neurosurgery applicants 4 failed to match. Looking at older data, it seems that every cycle there are a few PhD holders that are unable to match. Can anyone explain generally what would cause this? Low step scores? Non-relevant PhD or non-productive PhD? Poor foresight in selecting how many/tier of programs to apply? I get that a number of factors are at play here but with such a small number of dual degree applicants applying one would think that a focused MD/PhD shouldn't go unmatched if they apply intelligently...
(07-23-2017, 03:51 PM)Guest Wrote: Looking at the 2016 match report for US seniors, out of 20 MD/PhD neurosurgery applicants 4 failed to match. Looking at older data, it seems that every cycle there are a few PhD holders that are unable to match. Can anyone explain generally what would cause this? Low step scores? Non-relevant PhD or non-productive PhD? Poor foresight in selecting how many/tier of programs to apply? I get that a number of factors are at play here but with such a small number of dual degree applicants applying one would think that a focused MD/PhD shouldn't go unmatched if they apply intelligently...

Low step scores, inflated sense of self-value, socially awkward/difficult to get along with. Might not match if you tick 2 out of the 3 boxes.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)