Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chances of matching
Hello.
I am an IMG wanting to pursue Neurosurgery in the US. I know it's extremely difficult, and many try and only few manage to succeed. 
I had given my Step1 about two yrs ago, and could manage only a score of around 235-240. I should not be giving reasons, but I was totally not prepared for it due to personal reasons but couldn't cancel the scheduled slot. 
I have consistently been the topper of my class for all the 4yrs and received gold medals in most of the individual subjects as well (from a top5-10 ranked medical school of my country). 
I can only think if Neurosurgery as a career ahead, and am not even considering other options. 
I've managed to do some research, published a few and working on a few more. 
I plan to give my Step2 (and try my best), and do a few subI/observerships next year (if everything returns to normalcy).
What are my chances of getting interviews/matching for 2021 cycle, or with research year off for 2022 cycle? Wanted straightforward honest replies, even if that hurts very bad. 
I'd would rather focus on residency in my home country, and am sure I'd do much better with little preparation, but even if there's 1-5% chances of matching in US, I want to give it a shot.
Appreciate all the guidance in advance.
Thanks!
really depends what your country is
(06-05-2020, 09:30 AM)Guest Wrote: Hello.
I am an IMG wanting to pursue Neurosurgery in the US. I know it's extremely difficult, and many try and only few manage to succeed. 
I had given my Step1 about two yrs ago, and could manage only a score of around 235-240. I should not be giving reasons, but I was totally not prepared for it due to personal reasons but couldn't cancel the scheduled slot. 
I have consistently been the topper of my class for all the 4yrs and received gold medals in most of the individual subjects as well (from a top5-10 ranked medical school of my country). 
I can only think if Neurosurgery as a career ahead, and am not even considering other options. 
I plan to give my Step2 (and try my best), and do a few subI/observerships next year (if everything returns to normalcy).
What are my chances of getting interviews/matching for 2021 cycle, or with research year off for 2022 cycle? Wanted straightforward honest replies, even if that hurts very bad. 
I'd would rather focus on residency in my home country, and am sure I'd do much better with little preparation, but even if there's 1-5% chances of matching in US, I want to give it a shot.
Thanks!

Your Step 1 is average even by US grad standards, so you will have to work much harder. Also if you wait a year and apply, you will be compared to US grads who are taking Step 1 pass/fail. Not sure what that will mean exactly, but probably not favorable for you. Your Step 2 will matter, so do well.

It will be tough for you to do real SubIs, and observerships (and any letters you get from them) mean next to nothing. Sorry to be blunt, but that's the truth.

As has been said many times on this board, you need a senior/well-regarded neurosurgeon on your side. Which usually means research, not observerships, and it means publishing quite a bit. If you don't want to do basic science then try running an attending's anatomy lab and pursuing projects in there. I've seen many IMGs applying after research years with 20-30 publications. Which will likely take more than 1 year. Also, you're most likely to match at the institution where you're spending your time, so pick a place that is within reach. (In your case, a mid or lower tier program).

I would put your chances higher than your quoted "1-5%" if you play your cards correctly, but be realistic and know when you are willing to call it quits and pursue your career in your home country.
(06-05-2020, 01:18 PM)Guest Wrote: really depends what your country is

From India
(06-05-2020, 01:35 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 09:30 AM)Guest Wrote: Hello.
Thanks!

Your Step 1 is average even by US grad standards, so you will have to work much harder. Also if you wait a year and apply, you will be compared to US grads who are taking Step 1 pass/fail. Not sure what that will mean exactly, but probably not favorable for you. Your Step 2 will matter, so do well.

It will be tough for you to do real SubIs, and observerships (and any letters you get from them) mean next to nothing. Sorry to be blunt, but that's the truth.

As has been said many times on this board, you need a senior/well-regarded neurosurgeon on your side. Which usually means research, not observerships, and it means publishing quite a bit. If you don't want to do basic science then try running an attending's anatomy lab and pursuing projects in there. I've seen many IMGs applying after research years with 20-30 publications. Which will likely take more than 1 year. Also, you're most likely to match at the institution where you're spending your time, so pick a place that is within reach. (In your case, a mid or lower tier program).

I would put your chances higher than your quoted "1-5%" if you play your cards correctly, but be realistic and know when you are willing to call it quits and pursue your career in your home country.

Thanks for the succinct reply, really appreciate that. 
Yes, I am very realistic about my chances, which seem very low as of now. 
Your reply only affirms me to give it a shot and do a research year/(s), under some abled guidance who can vouch for me. 
Our Univ here has some connections with US Univ's to do elective rotations before we graduate. Also, our Head here, who is extremely supportive of me taking nsgy and has been pushing me to try US pathway, is connected with his peers from the States, and he said he can help me get some electives, etc. Hopefully that'll help my case.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)