Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did I make the right choice?
A little while ago I was in the following position: I had been accepted to Penn, Hopkins, NYU, and Columbia for med school. Penn, Hopkins, and Columbia would have all cost around $350k-$400k and NYU would have cost 0$ due to a scholarship. I am interested in neurosurgery and was pretty torn about this decision considering Hopkins and Columbia, in particular, seem to match so amazingly in neurosurgery (and I guess pretty much everything else). I ended up going with NYU because I just couldn't justify spending that much more money for med school. I also thought that even though NYU is currently considered less prestigious than these other schools it seems to be rising in the rankings and still has a pretty good reputation. Do you guys think I made the right choice? NYU grads seem to match pretty well into neurosurgery but I can't shake the feeling that going to a place like Hopkins would have really given me a leg up when residency application time comes around.
(06-06-2020, 03:03 PM)MilesDavis Wrote: A little while ago I was in the following position: I had been accepted to Penn, Hopkins, NYU, and Columbia for med school. Penn, Hopkins, and Columbia would have all cost around $350k-$400k and NYU would have cost 0$ due to a scholarship. I am interested in neurosurgery and was pretty torn about this decision considering Hopkins and Columbia, in particular, seem to match so amazingly in neurosurgery (and I guess pretty much everything else). I ended up going with NYU because I just couldn't justify spending that much more money for med school. I also thought that even though NYU is currently considered less prestigious than these other schools it seems to be rising in the rankings and still has a pretty good reputation. Do you guys think I made the right choice? NYU grads seem to match pretty well into neurosurgery but I can't shake the feeling that going to a place like Hopkins would have really given me a leg up when residency application time comes around.

I'd say a very smart decision as NYU will close no doors for you. Work hard and take advantage of every opportunity you get. There's also no benefit to dwelling on a decision that is behind you. Part of being a physician (particularly a surgeon) is living with the decisions you make, learning from them, and making the most of the present time.

Best of luck to you.
(06-06-2020, 03:27 PM)Guest Wrote:
(06-06-2020, 03:03 PM)MilesDavis Wrote: A little while ago I was in the following position: I had been accepted to Penn, Hopkins, NYU, and Columbia for med school. Penn, Hopkins, and Columbia would have all cost around $350k-$400k and NYU would have cost 0$ due to a scholarship. I am interested in neurosurgery and was pretty torn about this decision considering Hopkins and Columbia, in particular, seem to match so amazingly in neurosurgery (and I guess pretty much everything else). I ended up going with NYU because I just couldn't justify spending that much more money for med school. I also thought that even though NYU is currently considered less prestigious than these other schools it seems to be rising in the rankings and still has a pretty good reputation. Do you guys think I made the right choice? NYU grads seem to match pretty well into neurosurgery but I can't shake the feeling that going to a place like Hopkins would have really given me a leg up when residency application time comes around.

I'd say a very smart decision as NYU will close no doors for you. Work hard and take advantage of every opportunity you get. There's also no benefit to dwelling on a decision that is behind you. Part of being a physician (particularly a surgeon) is living with the decisions you make, learning from them, and making the most of the present time.

Best of luck to you.

^Agreed. For some folks, it's a no brainer to save 400+ grand out the gates. For others, they don't care about the money because A) They come from a rich family or B) They believe they won't have much trouble paying them off in 2-3 years anyways as an attending neurosurgeon. The perceived increased benefit of Hopkins, etc. may be worth it to some, and not for others. Really up to you.
Definitely no downside to choosing NYU. Very strong department with the potential to get letters from nationally recognized faculty such as Golfinos and Kondziolka.
In a word, yes.
shoulda gone to Hopkins, but there's nothing you can do now. i don't see the point of this thread tbh
(06-06-2020, 11:26 PM)Guest Wrote: shoulda gone to Hopkins, but there's nothing you can do now. i don't see the point of this thread tbh

I believe it was Socrates that once said "The unexamined life is not worth living.", but yeah I get your point I'm just trying to see what other people thought about the decision. I want to thank the rest of you for your replies and I hope you're all staying safe through these trying times (I rhymed).
Even going into neurosurgery, I think it's hard to overstate the value of coming out of med school debt-free. Med students match well in neurosurgery from all of those institutions, and NYU has a good department with a well-connected chair and ample opportunities for a med student to get involved with research. You will also get a well respected and debt-free medical education so that finances shouldn't be a factor in your ultimate specialty choice and you will have the pedigree to match into any specialty if the rest of your application is in order. The rest is what you make of it; you made the right choice.
a neurosurgery sub-i at NYU will prepare you better than the 2s or 3s at every single institution you listed, plus you put $400k in your pocket. this is a no brainer bro
(06-06-2020, 11:56 PM)Guest Wrote: a neurosurgery sub-i at NYU will prepare you better than the 2s or 3s at every single institution you listed, plus you put $400k in your pocket. this is a no brainer bro

+1....and...+400k

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)