Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 1
I'm a current M1 in a somewhat unique curriculum that gives me a lot of self-direction. I've completed about a third of the Bro's anki deck and find it to be really useful as a learning tool. I also use a number of online lecture subscriptions, focused on board prep. I've already "passed" step 1 if you count the nbme comprehensive exams as reliable indicator. Goal is obviously to get better. I'm trying to decide what qbanks to use and when i  should start using them? I will probably just spend M2 memorizing goljan, but i'm not sure how to best utilize qbanks. Is it a bad idea to start using uworld by the end of the summer? Should i use usmlerx now and save uworld for much later (when?). Is using just uworld fine or should i attempt to finish multiple qbanks?
Exactly what you said, do usmlerx now and save uworld for the last one or two months before your exam. Now is the time to go over all of the stuff that is brute force memorization with little understanding because you have the luxury of time. These things would be micro, biochem, and pharm mainly. Once you have these down, then would go through first aid and goljan cover to cover once each, take another nbme. Then start the process of identifying weaknesses and doing focused studying. When you get one or two months out do all of u world, reread first aid and the parts you highlighted out of goljan, take weekly diagnostic exams and focus on your weak sections. If you have enough time before the two-months out from your exam you can throw in other q-banks like kaplan but it isn't really necessary, usmlerx and uworld will set you up for 260+
(04-17-2017, 10:02 AM)Millenial Wrote: Exactly what you said, do usmlerx now and save uworld for the last one or two months before your exam. Now is the time to go over all of the stuff that is brute force memorization with little understanding because you have the luxury of time. These things would be micro, biochem, and pharm mainly. Once you have these down,  then would go through first aid and goljan cover to cover once each, take another nbme. Then start the process of identifying weaknesses and doing focused studying. When you get one or two months out do all of u world, reread first aid and the parts you highlighted out of goljan, take weekly diagnostic exams and focus on your weak sections. If you have enough time before the two-months out from your exam you can throw in other q-banks like kaplan but it isn't really necessary, usmlerx and uworld will set you up for 260+

Thanks for the solid response! It is much appreciated. Any thoughts on how to tackle micro? I did scketchy but find that i really don't like the whole cartoon association thing. I'd rather just know the facts about each bug. I've dabbled with Bro's micro deck but have read mixed reviews on it's effectiveness. I'm probably just going to use Bro's for micro, but would appreciate if you know of a better method?
Thought firecracker was the best resource for micro
I used Firecracker instead of Bro's deck. Same concept really. 260+.

I preferred Firecrackers micro to Sketchy. With Sketchy, I felt like half my job was to remember what the hell he drew in the first place. Don't really care for that. Firecracker, over and over again, done deal. Scored well on micro.
(04-17-2017, 12:56 PM)Guest Wrote: I used Firecracker instead of Bro's deck. Same concept really. 260+.

I preferred Firecrackers micro to Sketchy. With Sketchy, I felt like half my job was to remember what the hell he drew in the first place. Don't really care for that. Firecracker, over and over again, done deal. Scored well on micro.

Did you use firecracker throughout pre-clinical years or during dedicated time? I'm currently using it during M1 and there's a good amount that FC covers that my curriculum doesn't but overall I think it's a great program. Seeing that you got a 260+ with it makes me confident than paying $250 was a good investment.
(04-18-2017, 01:58 PM)Guest Wrote:
(04-17-2017, 12:56 PM)Guest Wrote: I used Firecracker instead of Bro's deck. Same concept really. 260+.

Did you use firecracker throughout pre-clinical years or during dedicated time? I'm currently using it during M1 and there's a good amount that FC covers that my curriculum doesn't but overall I think it's a great program. Seeing that you got a 260+ with it makes me confident than paying $250 was a good investment.

I used it during preclinical years, and not during dedicated. Dedicated should be UFAP.

It's definitely worth it if you want to make certain there's nothing you will not know on test day. Getting a high score = content knowledge + test skills. Firecracker will make sure you know everything. It's like a wikipedia for Step 1. $250 is nothing vs $200k for med school etc.
I dont remember if AWB had this or not, but could one make it such that not only can you see who posted last in a forum, but also what topic that post was in?

What was posted in is more important than who posted it IMO...

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)