Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commute
I want to know the opinion of current residents about the ideal commute to work. Is a 25-30 minute commute practical? This is the range I am looking into right now.
(04-19-2017, 03:28 PM)Incoming_Resident Wrote: I want to know the opinion of current residents about the ideal commute to work. Is a 25-30 minute commute practical? This is the range I am looking into right now.

Nope
Only you can decide how much you want to commute. Is it all the time or is it for a specific rotation? When during your residency was it? Longer commutes are not really practical when you're a junior and often getting out late and coming in early. When you're on a research rotation or are more senior then yeah it could work. Also depends on what you're getting out of it. I had a rotation where my commute was often an hour, sometimes more when traffic was bad. But there wasn't call involved, and I was doing great cases with a lot of autonomy - so for me, the trade-off was worth it.
Strongly recommend <15 minute commute at least to start. As you advance if you want to move further that is up to you but the last thing you want to do starting out and getting used to things is to have a hefty commute depleting you even further. It can be done, I have a co-resident that has a 30+ minute commute but it makes home call tricky. He had to basically stay in house for home call because of the level of high acuity consults that would come in from time to time.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)