Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you get away without Honors in OB, Peds, and Family Med?
Assuming you have all of the other ingredients, is it okay if you only Pass OB, Peds, and FM? I would assume that students who otherwise have great Step, rsrch, and do well on away rotations shouldn't have any trouble
I only passed two of my rotations, OBGYN and Gen Surg. I got asked twice about the gen surg pass on the trail and had a thought out explanation for it. No one cared or mentioned the OBGYN score. I still matched into a top 25 program on doximity's rankings.

So yes you can get away with it, but I do think that those passing grades were a part of what stopped me from matching into an even better program. Still in a great place that I love, but to match at top programs a single pass can be what separates you when everyone interviewing there is nearly perfect.
No place will care as long as everything else looks good.
For matching anywhere? Probably not a huge deal. But the all "H"s across the board on our spreadsheets are hard to ignore, and those applicants tend to be better overall.
(08-09-2020, 03:52 PM)Guest Wrote: I only passed two of my rotations, OBGYN and Gen Surg. I got asked twice about the gen surg pass on the trail and had a thought out explanation for it. No one cared or mentioned the OBGYN score. I still matched into a top 25 program on doximity's rankings.

So yes you can get away with it, but I do think that those passing grades were a part of what stopped me from matching into an even better program. Still in a great place that I love, but to match at top programs a single pass can be what separates you when everyone interviewing there is nearly perfect.

Do you think you could have made up for those passing grades with a PhD/extremely strong research?
How do programs perceive ABCD systems? Does minus vs. plus make a difference, or in general are As = honors, Bs = high pass etc. at most places?
(08-09-2020, 11:28 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-09-2020, 03:52 PM)Guest Wrote: I only passed two of my rotations, OBGYN and Gen Surg. I got asked twice about the gen surg pass on the trail and had a thought out explanation for it. No one cared or mentioned the OBGYN score. I still matched into a top 25 program on doximity's rankings.

Do you think you could have made up for those passing grades with a PhD/extremely strong research?

Yea sure. People look at your app holistically so being stronger in one area always helps.

You have to compare yourself to all 30-40 people interviewing at these top places though. Compared to the general applicant pool my research was great, my letters were great, and my grades overall were good, but again so are everyone else's at that level. So when they're going through applicants and all else is equal but one of them got a pass on 1 or 2 rotations that's a possible question mark that can move you down 2 or 3 spots, which can be the difference. On the other hand, having strong research that resonates with an attending or 2 can make them brush off the rest of your app.
Same. The app review is wholistic. I passed each of these, only honoring internal medicine and surgery (go figure). While I only high passed OB (due to the shelf), the comments from the OB attendings were spectacular and it got mentioned in almost every interview. YMMV but in my case it mattered more what they said about me than what my grade was. I matched at a Doximity top 10.
The fuck kind of interviews are you going on if a comment from your OB rotation was brought up
I only interview at places that do whacks from fornix to cervix

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)