Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Louisiana Programs
Louisiana has 3 programs: Tulane, LSU NO and LSU Shreveport. Looks like each one takes 2 per year. Anyone knows about their case volume and autonomy ?
I heard Shreveport is the busiest ?!

LSU NO alternates 1/2 residents per year. Tulane and Shreveport take 2 each. I was a resident in one of those. 

Given that Louisiana has a "medical review board" system which makes it hard to sue physicians, all of these programs provide excellent autonomy and most attendings are very hands-off, sometime "stay home" level of hands-off.

As far as cases, Tulane joined forces with Ochsner hospital to increase their volume. 

Tulane-Ochsner - around 3000-3500 cases per year
LSU NO - around 1200-1500 cases per year
LSU Shreveport - around 4000-4500 cases per year

Shreveport does more cases because it is the only place in the North. Still, NO is a nicer place to live. It will be volume vs location.
(08-18-2020, 11:11 PM)Match Wrote: Louisiana has 3 programs: Tulane, LSU NO and LSU Shreveport. Looks like each one takes 2 per year. Anyone knows about their case volume and autonomy ?

LSU NO alternates 1/2 residents per year. Tulane and Shreveport take 2 each. I was a resident in one of those. 

Given that Louisiana has a "medical review board" system which makes it hard to sue physicians, all of these programs provide excellent autonomy and most attendings are very hands-off, sometime "stay home" level of hands-off.

As far as cases, Tulane joined forces with Ochsner hospital to increase their volume. 

Shreveport does more cases because it is the only place in the North. Still, NO is a nicer place to live. It will be volume vs location.

LMAO! Thank you Tulane resident
Shreveport chairman stepped up big time and filled Nandas shoes and is crushing it
(08-18-2020, 11:11 PM)Match Wrote: Louisiana has 3 programs: Tulane, LSU NO and LSU Shreveport. Looks like each one takes 2 per year. Anyone knows about their case volume and autonomy ?

why is the same person asking about louisiana programs and then answering his/her question in the same post?
I’ve heard mixed things about Tulane, any insight here? Also, I thought Tulane alternates 1/2?
(08-19-2020, 01:02 AM)Guest Wrote: Shreveport chairman stepped up big time and filled Nandas shoes and is crushing it

Yes I heard he does 600+ cases per year. Stuff you can only get away with in the South.
(08-19-2020, 06:30 AM)No Guest Wrote: I’ve heard mixed things about Tulane, any insight here? Also, I thought Tulane alternates 1/2?

Tulane got much better after joining force with Ochsner system. That pumped their cases up. Very good autonomy.

Shreveport is still is the biggest referral center.
(08-19-2020, 12:43 PM)Guest Wrote:
(08-19-2020, 01:02 AM)Guest Wrote: Shreveport chairman stepped up big time and filled Nandas shoes and is crushing it

Yes I heard he does 600+ cases per year. Stuff you can only get away with in the South.

that is 600 more cases than you do a year bud
Yes, I did my Sub-I at Shreveport. Incredible autonomy, PGY 6/7 were doing aneurysms clipping and complex skull base cases with the attendings not even scrubbed in. The chairman is the most chill neurosurgeon I interacted with.
Shreveport?! Does this program even exist anymore? A small program that people used to hear about because of Nanda’s political power. Tell me how many faculty are there? Can’t recall if 4 or 5. Living in Shreveport for 7 years is another different story

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)