Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrow
(11-15-2021, 11:46 PM)Focus Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 07:21 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 06:09 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 02:44 AM)Guest Wrote: how does this ranking stuff work? How do they know you ranked them #1? Where is a website i can learn about this? Thank you

Because you email them saying: "Hey, I'm ranking you #1."

You can send that email to everyone can't you? Who checks?
People check.

I'm not going to lie or anything, but is that really true? I know a PD and a few attendings and they barely have time to read their emails. They hardly know the names of many of the doctors they work with.  I can't imaging a PD comparing emails with another PD. Doesn't make any sense
(11-16-2021, 12:43 AM)Focus Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 12:16 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 06:09 PM)Guest Wrote: Because you email them saying: "Hey, I'm ranking you #1."

People check.

Focus - on a related note, would love to hear your thoughts on how to ask your mentor to put in the ‘#1 program’ phone call for you without insulting your home program
Depends on your mentor I suppose. If they truly are invested in your future then they should be willing to receive your honesty without retaliation. Just be honest tell them that you appreciate everything the program is done for you but for XYZ reason you would appreciate if you would call blank program to support you.

What about if your home program is your number 1, do you ask your mentor to make rank #2 calls? Lol seriously do they say outside of us they want you over all else?
(11-16-2021, 01:04 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 06:09 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 02:44 AM)Guest Wrote: how does this ranking stuff work? How do they know you ranked them #1? Where is a website i can learn about this? Thank you

Because you email them saying: "Hey, I'm ranking you #1."

People check.

I'm not going to lie or anything, but is that really true? I know a PD and a few attendings and they barely have time to read their emails. They hardly know the names of many of the doctors they work with.  I can't imaging a PD comparing emails with another PD. Doesn't make any sense

People check. Only one needs to bust you
(11-16-2021, 04:52 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 07:21 PM)Guest Wrote: You can send that email to everyone can't you? Who checks?
People check.

Focus - on a related note, would love to hear your thoughts on how to ask your mentor to put in the ‘#1 program’ phone call for you without insulting your home program
Depends on your mentor I suppose. If they truly are invested in your future then they should be willing to receive your honesty without retaliation. Just be honest tell them that you appreciate everything the program is done for you but for XYZ reason you would appreciate if you would call blank program to support you.

What about if your home program is your number 1, do you ask your mentor to make rank #2 calls? Lol seriously do they say outside of us they want you over all else?

Again it would depend on your mentor. If your program wasn't going to take you then yeah he or she would do that if you're a good mentor. If they are taking you then they probably convey indirectly that it wasn't necessary.
(11-16-2021, 07:05 PM)Focus Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 11:46 PM)Focus Wrote: People check.

Again it would depend on your mentor. If your program wasn't going to take you then yeah he or she would do that if you're a good mentor. If they are taking you then they probably convey indirectly that it wasn't necessary.

I don’t think any mentor can say whether a home program is going to take you when there are 5-9 home applicants. How could they say this confidently. There would be other mentors in the dept that mentored the other home students.
Do they live up to the hype?
(11-17-2021, 04:39 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 07:05 PM)Focus Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 12:16 AM)Guest Wrote: Focus - on a related note, would love to hear your thoughts on how to ask your mentor to put in the ‘#1 program’ phone call for you without insulting your home program

I don’t think any mentor can say whether a home program is going to take you when there are 5-9 home applicants. How could they say this confidently. There would be other mentors in the dept that mentored the other home students.

You know we have rankings meetings where we make these decisions collectively, right? We definitely know who is ranked to match vs highly vs very low chance.
(11-19-2021, 09:59 AM)Guest Wrote: Do they live up to the hype?

seems like senior/chief level case operative autonomy has decreased since lawton took the reins
Times have changed. Outcomes matter now more than ever. The days of residents being allowed the autonomy to "figure it out" are over.
This is probably true at most programs, but swing by Barrow - good luck finding an attending in any of the ORs, they're all watching from their offices

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)