Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview Invites 2020-21
(11-17-2020, 06:09 PM)Guest Wrote: For those with ≥ 20 interview invites: what are you holding on for? Genuinely curious. We're all nervous, risk-averse and want to match. And it is well within your right to go on as many interviews as logistically possible.

But look at the statistics. There is very minimal benefit in attending ≥ 20 interviews on your likelihood to match. Sure, this year is different than any other, but will that really affect how programs view your personality? If you interview at ≥20 programs and don't match, it's probably because a) the Match is a cruel mistress and you fell in between the cracks or b) you are a poor and awkward interviewer.

If you know you're not going to highly rank that community-focused or lower-tier program, and you have 20+ other II's, please consider dropping for those (like the previous poster) who are struggling and probably deserve their spot as much as any one of us. I know some have already committed to this (see the spreadsheet this year). This will not only help applicants, but help reduce the risk of programs having to SOAP too. It's good for this year's neurosurgery match, on both sides. Selfishness serves nobody.
Don't mean to call out anyone as well: but if you can't make it to an interview, please cancel it. From the look of the interview exchange tab, there are people holding onto the interviews until the week of the interview. That is just inconsiderate and unprofessional.
(11-17-2020, 06:25 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-17-2020, 06:09 PM)Guest Wrote: For those with ≥ 20 interview invites: what are you holding on for? Genuinely curious. We're all nervous, risk-averse and want to match. And it is well within your right to go on as many interviews as logistically possible.

But look at the statistics. There is very minimal benefit in attending ≥ 20 interviews on your likelihood to match. Sure, this year is different than any other, but will that really affect how programs view your personality? If you interview at ≥20 programs and don't match, it's probably because a) the Match is a cruel mistress and you fell in between the cracks or b) you are a poor and awkward interviewer.

If you know you're not going to highly rank that community-focused or lower-tier program, and you have 20+ other II's, please consider dropping for those (like the previous poster) who are struggling and probably deserve their spot as much as any one of us. I know some have already committed to this (see the spreadsheet this year). This will not only help applicants, but help reduce the risk of programs having to SOAP too. It's good for this year's neurosurgery match, on both sides. Selfishness serves nobody.

As someone with very minimal interviews despite great letters, publications, and board scores, it seems I am one of those "slipping through the cracks." I'm not quite qualified enough for top tier places, yet too qualified for most others.. My mentors are as surprised as I am. I don't necessarily agree that if you have over a set number of invites you should be expected to give them up.. would it be nice? of course, but the responsibility shouldn't be on these applicants.. and it's a shame my future, and potentially a year of my life if I go unmatched and have to reapply, depends on someone else's actions to such a large extent. But this is the system and hand we are dealt.. I've accepted this at this point, but I feel empty, not sure what to do moving forward. 

I hope programs moving forward realize this.. please invite only as many applicants as you have spots for, as being placed on all these waitlists is useless imo. Also, maybe a cap on # of programs you can apply to would have prevented this, but I'm not sure. Again, life is not fair. You can do all the right things, but you are entitled to nothing.

I am in the same boat. Seen as a superstar applicant from my program, my home program is confused with the few invites I have received. Without away rotation letters, it seems as though home letters are not being taken seriously and a lot more emphasis is being placed on school name (as if that means anything given that many great applicants go to smaller state schools to save money)
What is defined as “minimal interviews” this year? Less than 10?
(11-17-2020, 07:26 PM)Guest Wrote: What is defined as “minimal interviews” this year? Less than 10?

Yes, I have less than 10, can't speak for the above posters
I'm cancelling II's as more come in and other ones go well. I'm sure other people are doing the same. I hope you all land at places where you thrive. It's a brutal process and it doesn't help that everyone I meet is super impressive. You're a talented bunch
(11-17-2020, 06:25 PM)Guest Wrote:

As someone with very minimal interviews despite great letters, publications, and board scores, it seems I am one of those "slipping through the cracks." I'm not quite qualified enough for top tier places, yet too qualified for most others.. My mentors are as surprised as I am. I don't necessarily agree that if you have over a set number of invites you should be expected to give them up.. would it be nice? of course, but the responsibility shouldn't be on these applicants.. and it's a shame my future, and potentially a year of my life if I go unmatched and have to reapply, depends on someone else's actions to such a large extent. But this is the system and hand we are dealt.. I've accepted this at this point, but I feel empty, not sure what to do moving forward. 

I hope programs moving forward realize this.. please invite only as many applicants as you have spots for, as being placed on all these waitlists is useless imo. Also, maybe a cap on # of programs you can apply to would have prevented this, but I'm not sure. Again, life is not fair. You can do all the right things, but you are entitled to nothing.
What do you consider a great board score out of curiosity? It really seems like those with > 260 are getting the fairest shake at most places based on the interview stats spreadsheet
n=1 but am an applicant with <260 from no name school but doing well with interview invites. Also planning to start canceling past 20 interviews (with enough notice to programs in advance of course)
Anyone know why programs offer more invites than spots for interviews? Especially when everything is virtual and people are less likely to cancel. What is the likelihood of someone cancelling especially if it is a top tier program. 

Thanks
(11-18-2020, 12:00 PM)Guess Wrote: Anyone know why programs offer more invites than spots for interviews? Especially when everything is virtual and people are less likely to cancel. What is the likelihood of someone cancelling especially if it is a top tier program. 

Thanks

Been cancelling based on schedule conflicts. It starting to become very difficult to schedule interviews without cancelling. Will probably be cancelling at least 1 "top tier" II
m3 here in 235-240 with recent interest hence minimal research curious how invites are looking like for people around my stats. appreciate any advice as well

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)