Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview Invites 2020-21
(11-19-2020, 01:44 PM)Guest Wrote: here's to an overwhelming sense of existential dread ?

RT. Where's that trickle down money??
(11-18-2020, 09:06 PM)Guest Wrote: I've got a 260+, great letters, good (but not crazy) number of papers, and am at a pretty good school and have still been passed over by a surprising number of upper-mid to high tier programs, so it's hard for me to identify what specifically is being looked at. Think region may play a role too.

I want to echo this. It's all a game of probabilities. I've done equally well with low-tier, mid-tier, and top-tier programs, but region and who knows your letter writers has come up time and again.

Every applicant looks amazing on paper. I don't see it as getting passed over. I think programs identify if they want what you're selling and if you'll be successful there. I've been rejected at programs where I had tons of connections but was a poor fit and gotten II's at much better and better-fit programs who've never seen me before. Wouldn't read too deep into it. If the top 30 programs all interviewed the same 50 kids, half the programs would be scrambling. I've also interviewed at traditionally forgotten programs that were jaw-droppingly awesome (with awesome residents too). It'd be hard to find an objectively poor residency program.

I just wish their were equal spots to applicants. Y'all are an impressive crew
i want all the interviews for myself
(11-19-2020, 04:18 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-18-2020, 09:06 PM)Guest Wrote: I've got a 260+, great letters, good (but not crazy) number of papers, and am at a pretty good school and have still been passed over by a surprising number of upper-mid to high tier programs, so it's hard for me to identify what specifically is being looked at. Think region may play a role too.

I want to echo this. It's all a game of probabilities. I've done equally well with low-tier, mid-tier, and top-tier programs, but region and who knows your letter writers has come up time and again.

Every applicant looks amazing on paper. I don't see it as getting passed over. I think programs identify if they want what you're selling and if you'll be successful there. I've been rejected at programs where I had tons of connections but was a poor fit and gotten II's at much better and better-fit programs who've never seen me before. Wouldn't read too deep into it. If the top 30 programs all interviewed the same 50 kids, half the programs would be scrambling. I've also interviewed at traditionally forgotten programs that were jaw-droppingly awesome (with awesome residents too). It'd be hard to find an objectively poor residency program.

Where do you all get these titer programs lol...hahah
(11-19-2020, 04:40 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-19-2020, 04:18 PM)Guest Wrote:

Where do you all get these titer programs lol...hahah

"titer"
It becomes pretty clear over the course of an interview day what the clinical volume and research output/support looks like. Most places have awesome fellowship placement though. Hard to go wrong
How are people liking places so far? Anywhere stick out to anyone as particularly good or bad?
^ 1:1 odds this is "resident from offensive program" trying to see if they offended anyone yet
No incentive to tell people about the sleeper programs that impressed you until after match
(11-21-2020, 05:41 PM)Guest Wrote: No incentive to tell people about the sleeper programs that impressed you until after match

Agreed. I've interviewed at a couple "top" places and few less-talked-about places and honestly haven't seen one I've really felt wrong about. Many great training programs out there. Just gotta find that fit. I'm sure places put their best foot forward for the interview so some likely seem better than they actually are, but still - if you match you'll be solid no matter what

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)