Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview Invites 2020-21
(11-25-2020, 07:06 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 06:39 PM)Guest Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 01:53 PM)Guest Wrote: GuestDoes anyone else find it silly that Mayo is interviewing 100 ppl this year? It's almost not worth going

who told you they interview 100 people lol? There are only 3 sessions and there are 15-20 each...that does not make 100 people...but yes don’t go...there are people would love to go in your place

Yea that's definitely not true. They usually interview 30-35 people. The reason it's a lot more this year is because all the people who would've rotated (like me) got automatic interview invites and a whole interview weekend to themselves. Normally they interview all their Sub-Is on site, regardless of how competitive they are on paper and they extended that courtesy to this cycle. That doesn't mean that all those people will be ranked. I doubt that anything changes this year, especially if you're competitive enough to be interviewed during the normal weekends as a non-rotator. If anything you probably have an advantage this cycle because no one was actually able to Sub-I this year and lock up spots.
Plus I'd guess that Mayo is probably also getting the feeling that lots of the top programs are fighting over the same 10% of applicants, so they want to make sure they get 4 good matches on Match Day vs having to deal with the headache of the SOAP because some people that they thought were solid locks actually decided to go to another program.

lol. Not a single top tier neurosurgery program SOAPs. They're interviewing 40 people + Sub-Is which is in line with the majority of good places.
(11-29-2020, 01:11 AM)Guest Wrote: Also curious, if programs tend to interview the same groups of people, some will look better than others on paper, how do programs avoid not ranking the same people top of their lists and fall far down in their lists?

Programs talk to each other.
(11-29-2020, 10:24 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-29-2020, 01:11 AM)Guest Wrote: Also curious, if programs tend to interview the same groups of people, some will look better than others on paper, how do programs avoid not ranking the same people top of their lists and fall far down in their lists?

They also rank people with personal and/or professional connections, people who have had their mentors call the program specifically, things like that
(11-29-2020, 05:55 PM)Guest Wrote:

They also rank people with personal and/or professional connections, people who have had their mentors call the program specifically, things like that

Any rec on how to  ask home program to make phone call without burning the bridge at your home program...?
(11-29-2020, 06:41 PM)Guest Wrote:

Any rec on how to  ask home program to make phone call without burning the bridge at your home program...?

If by "burn your bridges" you mean lead them to not rank you #1, I don't think there is a way. Once you tell a member of your home faculty to call another program on your behalf, you are basically indicating to them that you are interested in going elsewhere. Doing so is not bad or wrong, and if you really desire to match away, I'd argue you should do so because the call from your home mentor may improve your chances at the away/non-home program that you are targeting. But if by "burn your bridges" you mean lead the faculty at your home institution to hate you, I'd say that asking a faculty to call only your behalf would only "burn your bridges" in a very malignant program. I think most faculty recognize that there are benefits to training at multiple institutions, and, in fact, some programs e.g. Miami, Duke, highlight the fact that there faculty have trained at multiple places in their sessions or on their websites. And at the end of the day, if your home faculty is so pissed that you might want to go elsewhere that they sever ties with you for asking them to help you match at another program, then that program is a place you don't want to be.
(11-30-2020, 07:12 AM)NTS Guest Wrote:

If by "burn your bridges" you mean lead them to not rank you #1, I don't think there is a way. Once you tell a member of your home faculty to call another program on your behalf, you are basically indicating to them that you are interested in going elsewhere. Doing so is not bad or wrong, and if you really desire to match away, I'd argue you should do so because the call from your home mentor may improve your chances at the away/non-home program that you are targeting. But if by "burn your bridges" you mean lead the faculty at your home institution to hate you, I'd say that asking a faculty to call only your behalf would only "burn your bridges" in a very malignant program. I think most faculty recognize that there are benefits to training at multiple institutions, and, in fact, some programs e.g. Miami, Duke, highlight the fact that there faculty have trained at multiple places in their sessions or on their websites. And at the end of the day, if your home faculty is so pissed that you might want to go elsewhere that they sever ties with you for asking them to help you match at another program, then that program is a place you don't want to be.

These phone calls further create disadvantage to applicants who apply from a lower home programs especially this cycle...?‍♀️
(11-30-2020, 10:44 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-30-2020, 07:12 AM)NTS Guest Wrote:
(11-29-2020, 10:24 AM)Guest Wrote: Programs talk to each other.

These phone calls further create disadvantage to applicants who apply from a lower home programs especially this cycle...?‍♀️

... Yes, of course. That is why people from stronger home programs match better. Because their mentor can call their long time friend and put in a good word
Is there any utility to having a mentor make a phone call after you've interviewed at a program? Will it help you bump higher on their list?
(11-30-2020, 12:56 PM)Guest Wrote: Is there any utility to having a mentor make a phone call after you've interviewed at a program? Will it help you bump higher on their list?

I think that's when these calls are most often made, i.e. before rank list meetings, when you've decided you're ranking a place #1 and want that to be considered when that program is making their rank list
If a PD invites you to visit their program/city, is it advisable to go? I know its not permitted based on SNS guidance, but if PDs are willing to flout the rule is it worth it?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)