Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview Invites 2020-21
(12-01-2020, 07:34 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 01:40 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 12:48 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 12:07 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-30-2020, 11:32 PM)Guest Wrote: How the fuck do y'all already have #1-3 locked up? Interviews aren't even a quarter over
Maybe they already interviewed at like 3 of the top 10 programs

More than half of the top 10 haven't started interviewing or even released interviews yet. Coming from someone with 20+ offers I can't even imagine making my rank list yet without seeing what every program has to offer first; one of the programs I anticipate will be at or near the top of my list isn't even until February, and even for that one I am not trying to go in with any preconceptions. But maybe I spaced my interviews out more than others or don't have ties to specific programs like others might have. Just surprised to hear people already have top choices teed up already.

Do you really need to wait til February to know Barrow is going to be close to the top of your list
Formula for NeurosurgeryHub forum:
Post 1: Earnest question
Post 2: Attempted response
Post 3: Response is dumb
Post 4-7: bickering
Post 8: BNI is awesome
Post 9: Sarcasm
Repeat cycle

You forgot the random Russian spam post somewhere in there
Fewer than how many invites should be concerning for applicants this year?
(12-01-2020, 10:33 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 12:07 AM)Guest Wrote: Maybe they already interviewed at like 3 of the top 10 programs

More than half of the top 10 haven't started interviewing or even released interviews yet. Coming from someone with 20+ offers I can't even imagine making my rank list yet without seeing what every program has to offer first; one of the programs I anticipate will be at or near the top of my list isn't even until February, and even for that one I am not trying to go in with any preconceptions. But maybe I spaced my interviews out more than others or don't have ties to specific programs like others might have. Just surprised to hear people already have top choices teed up already.

Do you really need to wait til February to know Barrow is going to be close to the top of your list
Repeat cycle

[Image: 52390517.jpg]
(12-01-2020, 04:17 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 10:33 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-01-2020, 12:48 AM)Guest Wrote: More than half of the top 10 haven't started interviewing or even released interviews yet. Coming from someone with 20+ offers I can't even imagine making my rank list yet without seeing what every program has to offer first; one of the programs I anticipate will be at or near the top of my list isn't even until February, and even for that one I am not trying to go in with any preconceptions. But maybe I spaced my interviews out more than others or don't have ties to specific programs like others might have. Just surprised to hear people already have top choices teed up already.

Repeat cycle

[Image: 52390517.jpg]

Just a beautiful formula and replies. Although people on here may sometimes seem annoying, y'all are 5x better to interact with than kids from other specialties. Can you imagine a forum site for peds or obgyn? Too many exclamation points or too much passive aggression
(12-01-2020, 12:07 AM)Guest Wrote:
(11-30-2020, 11:32 PM)Guest Wrote: How the fuck do y'all already have #1-3 locked up? Interviews aren't even a quarter over
Maybe they already interviewed at like 3 of the top 10 programs

Repeat cycle

LMFAO this forum in a nutshell
(12-01-2020, 03:04 PM)Guest Wrote: Fewer than how many invites should be concerning for applicants this year?

The bimodal distribution of interview invites makes this year less predictable.  Usually 60% of applicants match, so assuming the data is reliable, if you have 12 or more invites that would put you in the top 60%.

That being said there are lots of other factors to consider (how well you interview, relationship with the program, invested mentors etc.) which could still increase your chance of matching compared to those with 20+ interviews.
I am fortunate enough to land some good-top program interviews...Do I really have a real chance to match thereafter interviews?... Especially if I have to cancel some less competitive programs to interview at these programs...Just curious because most of these programs matched people from good-top medical schools and historically subI is how people from less name programs matched at top programs...
(12-03-2020, 11:44 PM)Guest Wrote: I am fortunate enough to land some good-top program interviews...Do I really have a real chance to match thereafter interviews?... Especially if I have to cancel some less competitive programs to interview at these programs...Just curious because most of these programs matched people from good-top medical schools and historically subI is how people from less name programs matched at top programs...

This is how people fall through the cracks. If you are in the ~80th percentile you will get these interviews, but they usually match top applicants. So if you only interview at top places then you run that risk. You should match at lower caliber programs that still provide good training in places you would like to live
(12-04-2020, 10:57 AM)Guest Wrote:
(12-03-2020, 11:44 PM)Guest Wrote: I am fortunate enough to land some good-top program interviews...Do I really have a real chance to match thereafter interviews?... Especially if I have to cancel some less competitive programs to interview at these programs...Just curious because most of these programs matched people from good-top medical schools and historically subI is how people from less name programs matched at top programs...

This is how people fall through the cracks. If you are in the ~80th percentile you will get these interviews, but they usually match top applicants. So if you only interview at top places then you run that risk. You should match at lower caliber programs that still provide good training in places you would like to live

What would be a safe number of good-top interviews?
(12-04-2020, 02:55 PM)Guest Wrote:
(12-04-2020, 10:57 AM)Guest Wrote:

What would be a safe number of good-top interviews?

While having more will make you feel better, no specific number will ensure you match. Like the above stated, many good folks slip through the cracks despite a high # of invites given the nature of the process

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)