Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interview Invites 2020-21
(03-10-2021, 10:56 AM)Guest Wrote: Damn seemed like decent amount of programs made Rank highly email/phone call

I wouldn't get too upset. I didn't get contact from the programs I wanted and I didn't care for the programs that contacted me. Seems like I'm not the only person who had this experience. Let's let the dust settle and see where we land.
(03-10-2021, 12:06 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 10:56 AM)Guest Wrote: Damn seemed like decent amount of programs made Rank highly email/phone call

I wouldn't get too upset. I didn't get contact from the programs I wanted and I didn't care for the programs that contacted me. Seems like I'm not the only person who had this experience. Let's let the dust settle and see where we land.

x2. Plus of the places who initiated contact, many of these were cheap love letters/ calls.
(03-10-2021, 12:38 PM)Guest Wrote:

x2. Plus of the places who initiated contact, many of these were cheap love letters/ calls.

Cheap love letter/email? Mayo or Duke is cheap?
(03-10-2021, 01:19 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 12:38 PM)Guest Wrote:

Cheap love letter/email? Mayo or Duke is cheap?

save the outcry, I simply mean we're not the only ones getting these. Best to take everything with a grain of salt until it's all in ink.
The rationale of post-interview communication has always baffled me. I'm not going to change my ROL because a program said something nice to me (that they also probably said to a dozen others). Likewise, I doubt programs change their rank lists based on LOIs from applicants unless there's internal pressure to match top-ranked applicants (which is also asinine, but that's another story).

The whole point of the Match algorithm is to rank in order of your true preference for both applicants and programs, with an applicant-proposing mechanism giving applicants the edge. A program letting me know that I'm ranked highly or RTM won't change that...so why even do it besides to evoke an emotional response in the hopes that the applicant forgets the entire mechanism of the Match and falls in love with a program over a simple email or phone call? For highly intelligent neurosurgery applicants, that seems like a futile endeavor.

It just logically makes nearly zero sense. (And I did get some PIC from programs so this isn't a rant about me being petty)
(03-10-2021, 01:45 PM)Guest Wrote: The rationale of post-interview communication has always baffled me. I'm not going to change my ROL because a program said something nice to me (that they also probably said to a dozen others). Likewise, I doubt programs change their rank lists based on LOIs from applicants unless there's internal pressure to match top-ranked applicants (which is also asinine, but that's another story).

The whole point of the Match algorithm is to rank in order of your true preference for both applicants and programs, with an applicant-proposing mechanism giving applicants the edge. A program letting me know that I'm ranked highly or RTM won't change that...so why even do it besides to evoke an emotional response in the hopes that the applicant forgets the entire mechanism of the Match and falls in love with a program over a simple email or phone call? For highly intelligent neurosurgery applicants, that seems like a futile endeavor.

It just logically makes nearly zero sense. (And I did get some PIC from programs so this isn't a rant about me being petty)

Agree with above poster. If anything, unless it was a place I was already highly considering, PIC made me feel more comfortable in moving DOWN programs that were maybe middle of my list but not as favorable bc it became more of a "safety net". I imagine programs use LOIs the same way.

This was my experience too

(03-10-2021, 01:45 PM)Guest Wrote: The rationale of post-interview communication has always baffled me. I'm not going to change my ROL because a program said something nice to me (that they also probably said to a dozen others). Likewise, I doubt programs change their rank lists based on LOIs from applicants unless there's internal pressure to match top-ranked applicants (which is also asinine, but that's another story).

Agreed. Wish more programs took the "don't feel pressure to send thank you or other post-interview communication as we won't be" approach
is Emory taking 4 this year - NRMP website says 3?
(03-11-2021, 03:49 AM)Guest Wrote: is Emory taking 4 this year - NRMP website says 3?

Where can you find this info on the NRMP site?
Congrats to the 4 future BNI residents who got a response from the PD

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)