Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PGY-level appropriate cases
what PGY year should you be proficient in bread and butter cases like ACDF, hemicrani, crani for simple tumor?
PGY4 but depends on program structure.
agree. probably PGY4,

but I am not sure about proficient. I think comfortable is more accurate term. At PGY4 surgery might still be "rough and not as smooth or efficient as it can be done by a more "mature" surgeon. You could be missing subtle details and you don't necessarily know what you don't know.

Most importantly, as a PGY4 you may not be able to handle your own complication and need someone to save you.

but barring any significant complication, and if the case is relatively routine (i.e. triple redo ACDF with massive scarring, really complex trauma crani etc), I think PGY4s would be able "do" the case with minimal supervision (attending can be scrubbed in giving you verbal tips here and there but resident handles all the instruments; or attending might not even be in the room at all) although case will not be as smooth as done by PGY7.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)