Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Case vs OSU vs Cinci
thoughts? strengths/weaknesses of each?
OSU and Case are both solid midwest programs. Case gets a bit more open vascular volume but I think overall volume is higher at OSU with similar operative experience. Experience at Cinci is less clear
OSU on the rise
OSU endoscopic skull base is much better than case. Open vascular is better at case. Might give the spine edge to OSU, mostly because of Mendel and the primary spine tumor volume, it’s unique - not sure though how things function with their fellows. Probably similar programs overall. Cinci is a bit of a mess right now since the mayfield split. Tumor probably a wash between all 3.

Opportunity to pursue academic jobs or private practice after residency are probably similar for each place I think. Ranking would be OSU/Case>Cinci
I would think spine experience would be much better at OSU then at Case. Mendel and Farhadi bring pretty unique cases in and probably more depth. Not sure case has much of a spine volume especially with CCF down the road.
Case > OSU > Cinci
Really think that this depends upon what you want, but in general, I'd say OSU > Case. OSU has better spine and skull base, whereas Case/University may have better open vascular/endovascular. Feel like tumor is a push, or OSU is better, if anything, since it doesn't have to compete w/ another academic institution right next door and is in a larger metropolitan area (source: Wikipedia --> if you trust that one). Columbus is also one of the faster growing large US cities, whereas Cleveland is stagnant, like many rust belt cities. Also, from a case perspective, OSU is growing and has ~7100 cases for FY2019 split across 16 total residents vs. Case (which I think has like 4000/yr) for 16 total residents. To this point, OSU is actually looking to expand their residency compliment. Last, OSU has more NIH/research funding ($1.8million --> rank 24 vs. $0.57million for Case --> rank 41) + Lonser as chair (former NIH neurosurgery head). So I think academic or clinical, OSU probably has the edge. However, if cerebrovascular is your think, Case might have the advantage. Agreed with poster above that the spine guys (namely Mendel) are better known @ OSU.
(12-21-2020, 03:50 PM)Guest Wrote: Really think that this depends upon what you want, but in general, I'd say OSU > Case. OSU has better spine and skull base, whereas Case/University may have better open vascular/endovascular. Feel like tumor is a push, or OSU is better, if anything, since it doesn't have to compete w/ another academic institution right next door and is in a larger metropolitan area (source: Wikipedia --> if you trust that one). Columbus is also one of the faster growing large US cities, whereas Cleveland is stagnant, like many rust belt cities. Also, from a case perspective, OSU is growing and has ~7100 cases for FY2019 split across 16 total residents vs. Case (which I think has like 4000/yr) for 16 total residents. To this point, OSU is actually looking to expand their residency compliment. Last, OSU has more NIH/research funding ($1.8million --> rank 24 vs. $0.57million for Case --> rank 41) + Lonser as chair (former NIH neurosurgery head). So I think academic or clinical, OSU probably has the edge. However, if cerebrovascular is your think, Case might have the advantage. Agreed with poster above that the spine guys (namely Mendel) are better known @ OSU.

Quality effortful post with reasoning behind opinions, thank you. These are the occasional nuggets I try to find on this site
(12-21-2020, 03:50 PM)Guest Wrote: Really think that this depends upon what you want, but in general, I'd say OSU > Case. OSU has better spine and skull base, whereas Case/University may have better open vascular/endovascular. Feel like tumor is a push, or OSU is better, if anything, since it doesn't have to compete w/ another academic institution right next door and is in a larger metropolitan area (source: Wikipedia --> if you trust that one). Columbus is also one of the faster growing large US cities, whereas Cleveland is stagnant, like many rust belt cities. Also, from a case perspective, OSU is growing and has ~7100 cases for FY2019 split across 16 total residents vs. Case (which I think has like 4000/yr) for 16 total residents. To this point, OSU is actually looking to expand their residency compliment. Last, OSU has more NIH/research funding ($1.8million --> rank 24 vs. $0.57million for Case --> rank 41) + Lonser as chair (former NIH neurosurgery head). So I think academic or clinical, OSU probably has the edge. However, if cerebrovascular is your think, Case might have the advantage. Agreed with poster above that the spine guys (namely Mendel) are better known @ OSU.

Can anyone expand on the case is better at vascular claim?  I just don’t see it.  For same reason as skins volume mentioned above I suspect CCF gets most.

LOL, CCF is not an "academic" institution by any stretch of the imagination

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)