Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military options
Getting ready to start residency and have an interest in serving in the military in some capacity at some point. Looking for the option with minimum commitment. Seems multiple attendings have joined after residency for short periods, but am curious how this works. Thanks.
The less you take(rank, loan repayment, etc) the less obligation you have.
(05-02-2017, 03:18 PM)... Wrote: Getting ready to start residency and have an interest in serving in the military in some capacity at some point. Looking for the option with minimum commitment. Seems multiple attendings have joined after residency for short periods, but am curious how this works. Thanks.

Fee-assistance program: loan repayments during residency but incur active duty commitment with minimum (I believe) of 4 years. I believe the Air Force is currently looking for a handful of people in this program, dont know about other services.
Direct-commission post-residency: Active duty obligation depends on contract you sign, usually they are looking for at least 4 years but I've heard of shorter obligations. Service needs would depend on operational tempo and manning nearer to end of your residency.
Commission in Reserves: not terribly familiar with requirements, obligation, benefits etc but know Navy has this option. Would take civilian position after graduation but have reserve obligations.

First things first, you need to want to be on active duty in the military with all that comes with that responsibility before I would consider any of these.  
If youre just looking to do international service work or deal with victims of war there are other options.
Neurosurgery. 2016 Jun;78(6):765-74. doi: 10.1227/NEU.0000000000001084.
Thanks, very helpful. Is there much civilian contracting in NSG, both locally and abroad? I know a few who have done it in other specialties.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)