Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mount Sinai sub-i 2016/2017
I also completed a subI at Sinai and confirm all of the info mentioned in the post made earlier this evening. I am not a Sinai student, nor am I am not one who typically posts on public forums, but I feel it’s necessary to negate much of the false information provided in the initial post on 5/3/17.

I will reiterate that one of the greatest positives for this program is the group of residents. They are a fun group to chill with, great to learn from and exactly the kind of people you would want to spend 7 years with. A couple of additional comments….

Of the initial comments made, I would most definitely refute “Neither the program director, nor the chair cares about the residents.” In nearly every meeting/rounds, the chairman or PD discussed ways to make work more manageable and efficient for the residents and other staff members. In fact, the PD held a separate private meeting with the residents to discuss ways to make their personal and professional lives easier. Never once did the residents indicate that they were frustrated that the PD doesn’t have time to meet.

To say that Sinai is a 3rd/4th tier program is simply false. Having spent a couple of months with surgical residents, I can say with confidence that the operative experience at Sinai is quite strong. All of the residents seem to be quite confident and competent inside/outside the OR. 1) High case volume 2) very strong operative experience all around (spine, tumor, vascular, skull base etc.) with very early involvement in the OR 3) an exceptional skull base experience with a multitude of complex cases that you will not see at many other institutions. The faculty here are not only great educators, but also genuinely invested in the future of their residents (the fellowships obtained speak for themselves). Mocco is well-aware of everything going in his department including the work-ethic and performance of residents and subIs. If he is away, it is likely for the benefit of the program, not his own reputation. He clearly spends a tremendous amount of time promoting his program and the residents.

With respect to the subI experience: Overall a great experience. If you are well-prepared and approach this subI with a good attitude, good things will come of it. If you pay attention and take advantage of opportunities, you will learn a great deal. Your efforts will be recognized and appreciated.

Thanks Sinai residents and med students. Can we get some real opinions in here now?
(08-02-2017, 04:36 AM)Guest Wrote: Thanks Sinai residents and med students.  Can we get some real opinions in here now?

Doubtful that these are Sinai students or residents. The advertising style of the essays has the feel of the work of an internet reputation marketing company. Notice the MO; first deny anything to do with the program other than once upon a time having spent a few weeks there to establish being an outsider. Then go on to systematically refute every complaint that has been leveled in the forums and then go on to discuss, in detail, the virtues of the program and what the Faculty/PD/Chair do and think. This statement speaks volumes:

Mocco is well-aware of everything going in his department including the work-ethic and performance of residents and subIs. If he is away, it is likely for the benefit of the program, not his own reputation. He clearly spends a tremendous amount of time promoting his program and the residents. 

How exactly a person who spent a few weeks there gains such in depth knowledge of what is in the mind of the PD?
Also suspicious there are two at once, posted in rather close proximity to one another..
Mocco is going to leave for Columbia as soon as they need a new vascular guy. He's been slowly working his way back ever since he started his academic career.
Exactly the reason I like to avoid posting on public forums. Little to be gained (especially with people who have spiteful motives).  I don't think it's all that suspicious that these two posts were made just a couple days after the most recent subI at Sinai just ended. You can interpret these posts as you wish, but this conversation just ended.
(08-02-2017, 03:20 PM)Guest Wrote: Exactly the reason I like to avoid posting on public forums. Little to be gained (especially with people who have spiteful motives).  I don't think it's all that suspicious that these two posts were made just a couple days after the most recent subI at Sinai just ended. You can interpret these posts as you wish, but this conversation just ended.

You can try to stifle discourse on the white washing that is occurring by Sinai by "closing" the conversation, but if you think it'll work I'll guarantee you're ranked to match at your #1. 

Methinks the reason you avoid posting on public forums is that you're a dullard with little to add to the conversation. People calling out Sinai on their shenanigans are not spiteful, simply stating the obvious
(08-02-2017, 03:20 PM)Guest Wrote: Exactly the reason I like to avoid posting on public forums. Little to be gained (especially with people who have spiteful motives).  I don't think it's all that suspicious that these two posts were made just a couple days after the most recent subI at Sinai just ended. You can interpret these posts as you wish, but this conversation just ended.

First, I beg you to allow us to carry on with this conversation a bit longer me Lord. 

It is true, this whole post reads like an ad. In what universe a sub-I would make this statement about a PD? The question of "How does he know this much about the PD's mind" is very valid.
Mt. Sinai is a shitty program. Just ask how many nurses left because of Bederson. Mocco has been chasing Columbia for a while and this is the only thing he cares about.
Chasing Columbia??

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)