Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Match Day Weirdness
My classmates and I can’t decide if it’s more likely that match day will end up with a lot of people in seemingly random programs or if everyone is more likely to just end up at their home institution if they have one at their school. 

Not just NES but all of the competitive specialties that take super small numbers for new resident classes. 

What do u all think
(01-23-2021, 12:55 AM)SpaceGhost Wrote: My classmates and I can’t decide if it’s more likely that match day will end up with a lot of people in seemingly random programs or if everyone is more likely to just end up at their home institution if they have one at their school. 

Not just NES but all of the competitive specialties that take super small numbers for new resident classes. 

What do u all think

Hope not.

Med student from shitty home program
(01-23-2021, 01:36 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 12:55 AM)SpaceGhost Wrote: My classmates and I can’t decide if it’s more likely that match day will end up with a lot of people in seemingly random programs or if everyone is more likely to just end up at their home institution if they have one at their school. 

What do u all think

Hope not.

Ditto. Very worried about this. Mediocre applicants with good home programs are probably at a greater advantage this year
(01-23-2021, 10:05 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 01:36 AM)Guest Wrote:

What do u all think

Hope not.

Ditto. Very worried about this. Mediocre applicants with good home programs are probably at a greater advantage this year

Yeah, the name of your home program seems to matter a decent amount this year based on what I've seen.
The name of your home program has mattered every year, and mediocre applicants with good home programs have always been at an advantage. There are plenty of applicants from no name places interviewing at strong programs this year, likely because they have exceptional scores and pursued research opportunities that made up for those perceived deficits. Stop whining and making excuses for having a subpar application
Covid or no covid, our program wants the best we can attract. If that’s a student from another school, that’s fine.
(01-23-2021, 07:49 PM)Guest Wrote: The name of your home program has mattered every year, and mediocre applicants with good home programs have always been at an advantage. There are plenty of applicants from no name places interviewing at strong programs this year, likely because they have exceptional scores and pursued research opportunities that made up for those perceived deficits. Stop whining and making excuses for having a subpar application

Not sure where you interviewed, but at top-solid programs, most are from brand-name home programs...lol Some home programs have shitty research...no matter how hard you try...not everyone is able to take an extra year...don't make judgment so quick
Yes, most are from brand name home programs, but the pandemic did not last four years and is not an excuse for why you were not able to make up for the shortcomings in your application and pursue a serious research program for the three other years you were in medical school. This is the case every year. Just because you came from a shitty school and had the opportunity to do a sub-i at Barrow in any normal year doesn't change the fact that you're still from a shitty school. We no longer live in a world when you can pick up and decide to match into neurosurgery the day after third year ends. This is obviously less relevant if you come from an institution with a track record of successfully matched applicants, but if you don't have that luxury, you will have to 1) work harder to prove your commitment to the field or 2) pick a different specialty. This fact is going to be amplified 1000-fold when Step 1 moves to P/F.
(01-23-2021, 11:09 PM)Guest Wrote: Yes, most are from brand name home programs, but the pandemic did not last four years and is not an excuse for why you were not able to make up for the shortcomings in your application and pursue a serious research program for the three other years you were in medical school. This is the case every year. Just because you came from a shitty school and had the opportunity to do a sub-i at Barrow in any normal year doesn't change the fact that you're still from a shitty school. We no longer live in a world when you can pick up and decide to match into neurosurgery the day after third year ends. This is obviously less relevant if you come from an institution with a track record of successfully matched applicants, but if you don't have that luxury, you will have to 1) work harder to prove your commitment to the field or 2) pick a different specialty. This fact is going to be amplified 1000-fold when Step 1 moves to P/F.

I bet you did not come from a shitty home program. Don’t make judgement so quick.
(01-24-2021, 12:00 AM)Guest Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 11:09 PM)Guest Wrote: Yes, most are from brand name home programs, but the pandemic did not last four years and is not an excuse for why you were not able to make up for the shortcomings in your application and pursue a serious research program for the three other years you were in medical school. This is the case every year. Just because you came from a shitty school and had the opportunity to do a sub-i at Barrow in any normal year doesn't change the fact that you're still from a shitty school. We no longer live in a world when you can pick up and decide to match into neurosurgery the day after third year ends. This is obviously less relevant if you come from an institution with a track record of successfully matched applicants, but if you don't have that luxury, you will have to 1) work harder to prove your commitment to the field or 2) pick a different specialty. This fact is going to be amplified 1000-fold when Step 1 moves to P/F.

I bet you did not come from a shitty home program. Don’t make judgement so quick.

It’s not only harder to get good research done with worse home programs, but better programs will see you as less than identical and worse candidates from elsewhere (if they don’t pass on your app without reading it in the 1st place). This is probably true in all fields. Competitive programs are competitive. That’s why you see ppl doing a year or two of research at blue chip programs to boost their apps. If you don’t have a year to commit, it’s gonna be harder, but that’s the price of going to a worse school. Obviously there are a number of reasons why ppl go to the school they do, but nsgy is not alone in this.

At the same time, don’t expect MGH or Columbia to seriously read your app if you go to podunk med school

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)