Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Second Looks
Are more programs going to do second looks this year since they can be virtual instead of in person?
(01-25-2021, 01:28 PM)Guest Wrote: Are more programs going to do second looks this year since they can be virtual instead of in person?

or in person now that applicants are vaccinated
I don't think anyone wants to name and shame a place they're interested in and that may have only reached out to a few people.

That being said, lots of programs said something to the tune of "you should see a city before you move there" or "if you're in the area..."
Has anyone received confirmation from the Mayo GME after registering for the second look on February 5th?
(01-25-2021, 05:48 PM)Guest Wrote: I don't think anyone wants to name and shame a place they're interested in and that may have only reached out to a few people.

That being said, lots of programs said something to the tune of "you should see a city before you move there" or "if you're in the area..."

Can confirm that multiple in person second looks took place this year. I saw a few of the same applicants on the post-interview trail.
No one invited is dumb enough to name these institutions, but I visited a few "top tier" programs and a few "hidden gems". 
Across the board, residents are just as eager to meet us as we are them.
(03-11-2021, 02:12 PM)Guest Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 05:48 PM)Guest Wrote: I don't think anyone wants to name and shame a place they're interested in and that may have only reached out to a few people.

Can confirm that multiple in person second looks took place this year. I saw a few of the same applicants on the post-interview trail.
No one invited is dumb enough to name these institutions, but I visited a few "top tier" programs and a few "hidden gems". 

Why not? Just name them
(03-11-2021, 02:20 PM)Guest Wrote:

Why not? Just name them

1) momma aint raise no snitch
2) if you know you know
3) see 1-2

Only sharing this so ppl know that second looks will always be important in neurosurgery regardless of any guidelines (which most places view as suggestions). They're hiring someone for the better half of a decade and want to know that you aren't a socially inept, walking recording of greenberg

Why not? Just name them

Because no one is dumb enough to put a program under fire if they might be training there

Why not? Just name them
Pitt, BNI
If a program is willing to blatantly ignore an ongoing pandemic and invite select applicants from all over to come to their hospitals under the table, how do you think that reflects upon their program and its leadership as a whole when it comes to other issues?

Programs that did virtual Second Looks this year or were eager to talk with applicants one-on-one (via video conference or Phone call) post-interview did the right thing – allow that avenue of communication to take place in a safe manner.

I'm not saying the SNS is right on everything but I think this goes well beyond that. Look at what other specialties in medicine are doing. Every neurosurgery program thinks they're the best thing since sliced bread and thinks they can bend the rules to their whim, but in reality, they're not any more special than anyone else. At the end of the day they will produce a qualified surgeon like 99% of programs out there, whether or not they bent the rules and did an in-person second look.

Egotistical programs always gonna be egotistical.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)