Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Match Day Fail
I'm sure everyone has a touch of anxiety headed into match day. I've had around 25 interviews, but am still contemplating back-up options. Already took a research year and had solid step one score. Step 2 scores delayed and likely not available until mid-march due to various scheduling issues this cycle.

In the event of no match, should I plan to SOAP into a prelim position and reapply or take more time for research to get different letters? Can't imagine doing any other specialty.
(02-14-2021, 12:05 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm sure everyone has a touch of anxiety headed into match day. I've had around 25 interviews, but am still contemplating back-up options. Already took a research year and had solid step one score. Step 2 scores delayed and likely not available until mid-march due to various scheduling issues this cycle.

In the event of no match, should I plan to SOAP into a prelim position and reapply or take more time for research to get different letters? Can't imagine doing any other specialty.

My mentor advised me to go for a prelim spot. Extra research won't help someone who already has good research in their opinion, and if your scores are good there's not really much more to do so don't delay an income and experience.
(02-14-2021, 01:06 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 12:05 PM)Guest Wrote: I'm sure everyone has a touch of anxiety headed into match day. I've had around 25 interviews, but am still contemplating back-up options. Already took a research year and had solid step one score. Step 2 scores delayed and likely not available until mid-march due to various scheduling issues this cycle.

My mentor advised me to go for a prelim spot. Extra research won't help someone who already has good research in their opinion, and if your scores are good there's not really much more to do so don't delay an income and experience.

We've had residents at my program enter via both strategies. One applied to our program, got interviewed and didn't match, did an extra year of research w/ another faculty member --> got better letters and successfully matched to the program. A second didn't match in neurosurgery, did a gen surg prelim year at an outside facility and then joined a PGY2 slot that had opened up because one of the residents in that class opted to drop out and pursue another specialty. Neither is ideal and the income is definitely a big thing since you've already got student loan debt over your head. The one thing I'd say for the research year is that you potentially can develop a stronger relationship w/ 1+ faculty members at a select institution (preferably one where you think you'd have a competitive app and at which you interviewed during the previous cycle). Those faculty members can then stump for you at the institution's residency meeting and also make calls for you. 

Personally also wary of this potential outcome. Think I'd probably pick the research year, but hopefully it won't come to pass. Best of luck to you though!
Are these options better than categorical gen surg -> re-apply?
(02-14-2021, 03:05 PM)Guest Wrote: Are these options better than categorical gen surg -> re-apply?

It all depends upon your situation.  Have a think about it all and weigh it against your goals and must haves.  But I would also suggest having a place in your mind open to the fact that you just may not be cut out to be a neurosurgeon.  Everyone here doesn't think that obviously, and you of course are doing the best you can (which is quite impressive if you're here), but the system is designed to match.  If it didn't do a good job no one would use it.  If you don't match, you need to look inward, gaze deeply and take some time to think about why you may have not matched.  Consider that you could be viewed as socially awkward, arrogant, judgmental, or perhaps disdainful.  Work on yourself and give it another shot, but be open to terrible possibilities about yourself and you won’t be disappointed when minor tweaks are required vs. significant overhauls.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)