Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
List by work hours
Is there a general list of programs by how busy you'll be as a resident? Spare me the, if you don't want to do 168 hours/week of neurosurgery you're not cut out for it- I get it. I'm asking because not all hours are the same, and hours matter at a certain level. I'd rather not be spending 10 extra hours a week doing the work of an NP/PA, and convince myself that's what neurosurgery is all about. There is something to be said about efficiency.

I keep hearing talk about Emory, that it's program hours are one of the highest. I also hear about Yale, it's a quieter program. Is there a list for this kind of thing?

I'm very interested in doing research, my home program has basically zero research. I don't think I could train at program like that.

I guess I'm asking for a list of "gentleman's programs"

I know, here comes the heat.
Neurology has good hours and fits your laziness better.
And there it is. Can't ask a simple question huh? I get it, you should work hard. I'm simply asking what the more efficient programs are. Isn't that good information to have.
The reality is some of the higher volume programs are also pretty prolific publishers but if youre lookong for low work hours as your primary residency criteria avoid places like pitt, nyu, columbia, indiana, emory, and maybe hopkins though that one was more a culture thing rather than needing to be there a long time and I hear theyve relaxed. Look for places with one or two hospitals that arent level one trauma centers and are in areas of relatively low population density. Look for places that dont have in house senior call.
(05-05-2017, 04:44 AM)Guest Wrote: And there it is. Can't ask a simple question huh? I get it, you should work hard. I'm simply asking what the more efficient programs are. Isn't that good information to have.

Even in the highest scut program being efficient yourself is the biggest issue.  Trying to dump your work off on everyone else will result in more work for you, no matter where you go.
(05-05-2017, 05:09 AM)Focus Wrote: The reality is some of the higher volume programs are also pretty prolific publishers but if youre lookong for low work hours as your primary residency criteria avoid places like pitt, nyu, columbia, indiana, emory, and maybe hopkins though that one was more a culture thing rather than needing to be there a long time and I hear theyve relaxed. Look for places with one or two hospitals that arent level one trauma centers and are in areas of relatively low population density. Look for places that dont have in house senior call.

Don't know where are you getting your info from. Take Columbia and Indiana completely out. Columbia doesn't have the volume and the operative experience blows. Indiana is no more than a small program of a large private group. Their only "prolific" surgeon is Gadol who got 90% of his publications are "guest/gift authorship" in R. Shane Tubbs's papers.
Hopkins is the most malignant program in the universe. The shitty work has slightly decreased with taking 4 per year but the whole culture is malignant.

I agree with Emory and NYU. However, Pitt has a very large volume and taking 4 per year makes residents' life easier but disorganized on the level of departmental administration.
(05-05-2017, 08:24 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-05-2017, 05:09 AM)Focus Wrote: The reality is some of the higher volume programs are also pretty prolific publishers but if youre lookong for low work hours as your primary residency criteria avoid places like pitt, nyu, columbia, indiana, emory, and maybe hopkins though that one was more a culture thing rather than needing to be there a long time and I hear theyve relaxed. Look for places with one or two hospitals that arent level one trauma centers and are in areas of relatively low population density. Look for places that dont have in house senior call.

Don't know where are you getting your info from. Take Columbia and Indiana completely out. Columbia doesn't have the volume and the operative experience blows. Indiana is no more than a small program of a large private group. Their only "prolific" surgeon is Gadol who got 90% of his publications are "guest/gift authorship" in R. Shane Tubbs's papers.
Hopkins is the most malignant program in the universe. The shitty work has slightly decreased with taking 4 per year but the whole culture is malignant.

I agree with Emory and NYU. However, Pitt has a very large volume and taking 4 per year makes residents' life easier but disorganized on the level of departmental administration.
Columbia does not have high volume operative experience no disagreement there, what I am getting at is the target question: work hours NOS. Columbia doesn't have extensive work hours from operating, they have extensive work hours from the disorganization of the hospital, the poorly functioning ancillary support, a crippled EMR, and the fact that PGY5's take in house buddy call with the 2's. NYU suffers from many of the same problems minus the PGY5 call and with the additional of higher volume. I'm not sure why Cohen-Gadol being a prolific publisher has anything to do with the fact that the residents cover high volume in which, like Pitt, results in high work hours in order to allow for the turnover of such a high volume of cases regardless of organization/efficiency/etc. I'm not disparaging any of these programs they all have their strong points but short days isn't necessarily one of them.
Just look at the high profile faculty that Columbia turns out. Enough ssi
(05-06-2017, 01:35 PM)Guest Wrote: Just look at the high profile faculty that Columbia turns out. Enough ssi

From the mouth of Columbia applicants I met "Columbia is the worst program in the country." I don't agree with this sentence and definitely not the worst program. Residents there simply don't get trained and operatively weak. They don't produce high quality research but they are smart enough to bypass this by organized neurosurgery and publications. Most of Columbia grads are from Columbia medical school which means they are already smart from the beginning. 

There is a huge difference between programs that don't train at all but their residents' mentality can help them down the road, and those that train you well but it's up to you if you want to stay in organized neurosurgery or private practice.
Which are the specific programs that train you well?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)