Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best programs for folks looking to go into peds?
Mostly just the ones with huge peds volume and good children's hospitals (i.e. Boston Children's, CHOP, etc.), or are there programs that particularly excel in prepping people for peds careers? Any intel on which programs dedicate the most time to peds rotations? My school doesn't have a children's hospital and I'm not sure what factors to prioritize.
CHOP and Boston will certainly set you up well in that regard, but I'd say it is also important to look at other places that have dedicated peds faculty in their ranks, as well as looking at prominent fellowships and who their spots get filled by. Cornell, UW and WashU come into mind as other great spots for a career in pediatrics
(03-07-2021, 07:09 AM)Guest Wrote: CHOP and Boston will certainly set you up well in that regard, but I'd say it is also important to look at other places that have dedicated peds faculty in their ranks, as well as looking at prominent fellowships and who their spots get filled by. Cornell, UW and WashU come into mind as other great spots for a career in pediatrics

To build on this, BWH is the true BCH program. They rotate through their 3 times and act as chief as opposed to a single rotation at BIDMC or MGH. Emory also has higher Peds volume than any of these so it should be considered. Lurie @ NW is also a top fellowship.

These are mostly very competitive programs though so I think you should also look at smaller programs with peds faculty and attached peds hospitals (Brown, Einstein, NYMC etc.). At these places, you'll round on Peds patients and cover Peds call all 7 years, which won't happen at bigger places like Emory/WashU or places without their own peds hospital like UCLA, DC programs, Jeff, Rush etc.
Penn is the true CHoP program, but Temple spends the most time there for whatever reason
(03-07-2021, 09:59 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-07-2021, 07:09 AM)Guest Wrote: CHOP and Boston will certainly set you up well in that regard, but I'd say it is also important to look at other places that have dedicated peds faculty in their ranks, as well as looking at prominent fellowships and who their spots get filled by. Cornell, UW and WashU come into mind as other great spots for a career in pediatrics

To build on this, BWH is the true BCH program. They rotate through their 3 times and act as chief as opposed to a single rotation at BIDMC or MGH. Emory also has higher Peds volume than any of these so it should be considered. Lurie @ NW is also a top fellowship.

These are mostly very competitive programs though so I think you should also look at smaller programs with peds faculty and attached peds hospitals (Brown, Einstein, NYMC etc.). At these places, you'll round on Peds patients and cover Peds call all 7 years, which won't happen at bigger places like Emory/WashU or places without their own peds hospital like UCLA, DC programs, Jeff, Rush etc.

BIDMC and MGH just have rotating residents over, while BWH and BCH are one combined program. I wouldnt lodge the name BIDMC in with MGH and BWH, thats a heresy. Its more of a BMC program that is only a few years old. Wash U is another program that has a stellar peds "integrated" program, as is USC with CHLA.
Baylor has TCH as well
(03-22-2021, 09:08 AM)Guest Wrote:

BIDMC and MGH just have rotating residents over, while BWH and BCH are one combined program. I wouldnt lodge the name BIDMC in with MGH and BWH, thats a heresy. Its more of a BMC program that is only a few years old. Wash U is another program that has a stellar peds "integrated" program, as is USC with CHLA.

What a weird post. Disclaimer: not a resident in Boston.

Obviously BIDMC isn't BWH or MGH, but this post is just odd. The program was actually started by BIDMC who approached BMC to increase the volume and diversity of cases. Ask them or anyone who interviewed/rotated/trained there. Calling something "heresy" betrays a strange complex. Its not like this is a religion. BIDMC seems like a fine program and it'll only get better with time, increased complement, and a track record of success. I wouldn't call it a great program currently, but you get to work with Ogilvy and Alterman and you can spend your research year with any Harvard/MIT faculty.

Jesus, you'd think there are only 10 residency programs in the country based on this site
(03-22-2021, 11:22 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-22-2021, 09:08 AM)Guest Wrote:

What a weird post. Disclaimer: not a resident in Boston.

Obviously BIDMC isn't BWH or MGH, but this post is just odd. The program was actually started by BIDMC who approached BMC to increase the volume and diversity of cases. Ask them or anyone who interviewed/rotated/trained there. Calling something "heresy" betrays a strange complex. Its not like this is a religion. BIDMC seems like a fine program and it'll only get better with time, increased complement, and a track record of success. I wouldn't call it a great program currently, but you get to work with Ogilvy and Alterman and you can spend your research year with any Harvard/MIT faculty.

Jesus, you'd think there are only 10 residency programs in the country based on this site

Agreed. People act like if you don't train at a name brand place you're a terrible surgeon with no future. Lot of prestige whoring. There are very few "bad" neurosurgery programs
How good is Duke for peds?

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)