Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step 1 Study Distraction
Hey everyone, I'm in kind of a predicament. I start Step 1 studying tomorrow. Obviously this is my first priority over the coming weeks (got 6). The lab Im working in is on the cusp of finishing (next three weeks) work on 3 manuscripts which I have been offered authorship on. The PI likes me, is a good dude, and knows what Step 1 means for my ambitions. All three going to be submitted to high impact journals (Nature/Stroke). I legitimately think that these papers will be big. However this requires that I spend at least 3-4 hours in lab for the first couple weeks of my Step 1 time. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what to do, should I try and make it work? Or should I say fuck it and focus only on Step 1. I feel like this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for a medical student which is what is causing my hesitation. Obviously if I get worked on Step 1, the papers don't matter at all.
Dude, you are going to be middle author regardless. Unless you are first author on these things, middle author position is looked at all the same. Just take your author placement as is and study.
(05-07-2017, 09:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Dude, you are going to be middle author regardless.  Unless you are first author on these things, middle author position is looked at all the same.  Just take your author placement as is and study.

That's the issue, my current author placement is non-exinsistant as in I'm not on them. This would get me on them in the middle like you say, but would require me to curtail the beginning of my study period.
Have you done a timed & honest, full practice test to establish your base line yet? If so, what are your numbers? If not, or if you did poorly in your practice test, at this point forget about the lab work and get serious about your test. try to do some research work after the test. Step 1 is more important to secure interviews and you only get one crack at it.
(05-07-2017, 10:24 PM)Guest Wrote:
(05-07-2017, 09:26 PM)Guest Wrote: Dude, you are going to be middle author regardless.  Unless you are first author on these things, middle author position is looked at all the same.  Just take your author placement as is and study.

That's the issue, my current author placement is non-exinsistant as in I'm not on them. This would get me on them in the middle like you say, but would require me to curtail the beginning of my study period.

There is no way you will go from non-existent to co-author on 3 Nature papers by dicking around for 3 or 4 hours a day in lab.  You either already earned it or will get a pity acknowledgement.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)