Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sub-I nonsense
The whole Sub-I system is one big clogged artery. De-centralized applications, different application/lottery methods, different notification timelines.

I got a Sub-I at a good place recently, but this was my backup. I'm going to hear back about a dream place soon. Is it a complete dick move to accept the Sub-I, then cancel if I hear good news from the other place? This place is not somewhere I'd imagine will be high on my list, just wanted to try something new. Of course, I'd do it if I didn't get into my other choice.
Are they going to hunt you down and ruin your career? No. Will you get an interview there? Maybe not.
(05-09-2017, 12:28 AM)Guest Wrote: The whole Sub-I system is one big clogged artery. De-centralized applications, different application/lottery methods, different notification timelines.

I got a Sub-I at a good place recently, but this was my backup. I'm going to hear back about a dream place soon. Is it a complete dick move to accept the Sub-I, then cancel if I hear good news from the other place? This place is not somewhere I'd imagine will be high on my list, just wanted to try something new. Of course, I'd do it if I didn't get into my other choice.

Why would you want a centralized application?  It is just another way to extract money from medical students.
(05-09-2017, 12:28 AM)Guest Wrote: The whole Sub-I system is one big clogged artery. De-centralized applications, different application/lottery methods, different notification timelines.

Full disclosure: coordinator here. 

I would take a canceled sub-I over holding a spot for someone that in reality wasn't serious about our program EVERY. DAMN. DAY.  If you cancel as soon as you find out, I can probably offer that spot to someone who really wants it. I can only speak for my program, but spots are limited and we don't have the luxury of accomodating just-for-fun rotations that aren't going to result in serious prospects. We know you have other prospects and limited time so turning down a sub-I is not necessarily going to blackball you from an interview. And even if it does, it just saves you and the program you're not that into a lot of time, money, and effort.  Mixed signals from applicants and programs just muddy the match waters.
Honest question here, and others can feel free to chime in since the previous poster was a guest, but: Why would a coordinator bother coming to this forum? It's largely anonymous, so you can't weed out the truly awful posters. Much of it seems to be trolling by what I can only imagine are M1s who just haven't gotten knocked down a peg yet. I appreciate that they're here and contribute; I just wish I knew when a post was from a legit source vs. trolling/ignorance. You can only take so many grains of salt before everything starts tasting the same.
(05-15-2017, 01:23 AM)dispo Wrote: Honest question here, and others can feel free to chime in since the previous poster was a guest, but: Why would a coordinator bother coming to this forum? It's largely anonymous, so you can't weed out the truly awful posters. Much of it seems to be trolling by what I can only imagine are M1s who just haven't gotten knocked down a peg yet. I appreciate that they're here and contribute; I just wish I knew when a post was from a legit source vs. trolling/ignorance. You can only take so many grains of salt before everything starts tasting the same.

Coordinators have posted here and in previous forums before - mainly to advertise open spots for residency or fellowship. Its not a stretch that some program directors or coordinators would monitor what is basically the only neurosurgery residency forum online.
(05-15-2017, 06:52 AM)Ventricles Wrote:
(05-15-2017, 01:23 AM)dispo Wrote: Honest question here, and others can feel free to chime in since the previous poster was a guest, but: Why would a coordinator bother coming to this forum? It's largely anonymous, so you can't weed out the truly awful posters. Much of it seems to be trolling by what I can only imagine are M1s who just haven't gotten knocked down a peg yet. I appreciate that they're here and contribute; I just wish I knew when a post was from a legit source vs. trolling/ignorance. You can only take so many grains of salt before everything starts tasting the same.

Coordinators have posted here and in previous forums before - mainly to advertise open spots for residency or fellowship. Its not a stretch that some program directors or coordinators would monitor what is basically the only neurosurgery residency forum online.

I suspect three are a few who lurk and post to put a positive spin on their program.

Original coordinator here.  My reasonings:

1) I like to get a feel for what neurosurg applicants and future/past sub-i's are generally freaking out about, knowing full well this is just a subset of the most extreme examples.  Usually it's all nonsense, but sometimes when assumptions are way off it can be an interesting excercise in trying to figure out why that might be.   

2) While I would never post misleading comments talking up my program, obviously I want to hear the impressions and/or gossip.  I highly doubt there's a lot of PA's posing as residents or sub-I's to make their programs look good because believe it or not we really do have better and more important things to do, but who knows - I'm currently here. 

3) Pure voyeurism - ya'll are nuts.

Now, as to what motivated me to respond to this particular post.  Like the very, very few posts I've responded to in the past, it generally has a lot to do with transparancy in the sub-i/match process.  I've worked with med students in different capacities for quite a while time, and you're more often than not your own worst enemies.  The match is stressfully and painfully ambiguous for both applicants and PD's, and I think we're all better off without some of the rampant misconceptions or rumours that bubble up. I know true transparency is nigh impossible, but if we can cut through some of more unnecessary bullshit, both programs and applicants can make better informed decisions.     

I would be happy to weigh in or answer questions in a more legit manner ala Reddit AMA's, but then again I can only speak confidently for my program or in very general terms, and given that remaining truly anonymous would probably be difficult.
(05-15-2017, 02:32 PM)Guest Wrote:

1) I like to get a feel for what neurosurg applicants and future/past sub-i's are generally freaking out about, knowing full well this is just a subset of the most extreme examples.  Usually it's all nonsense, but sometimes when assumptions are way off it can be an interesting excercise in trying to figure out why that might be.   

2) While I would never post misleading comments talking up my program, obviously I want to hear the impressions and/or gossip.  I highly doubt there's a lot of PA's posing as residents or sub-I's to make their programs look good because believe it or not we really do have better and more important things to do, but who knows - I'm currently here. 

Now, as to what motivated me to respond to this particular post.  Like the very, very few posts I've responded to in the past, it generally has a lot to do with transparancy in the sub-i/match process.  I've worked with med students in different capacities for quite a while time, and you're more often than not your own worst enemies.  The match is stressfully and painfully ambiguous for both applicants and PD's, and I think we're all better off without some of the rampant misconceptions or rumours that bubble up. I know true transparency is nigh impossible, but if we can cut through some of more unnecessary bullshit, both programs and applicants can make better informed decisions.     

I would be happy to weigh in or answer questions in a more legit manner ala Reddit AMA's, but then again I can only speak confidently for my program or in very general terms, and given that remaining truly anonymous would probably be difficult.

Thank you for your candor.  We appreciate your insight.

Id be happy to set up an anonymous AMA if you'd like.
(05-15-2017, 02:45 PM)socrates Wrote:
(05-15-2017, 02:32 PM)Guest Wrote:

Thank you for your candor.  We appreciate your insight.

Id be happy to set up an anonymous AMA if you'd like.
No problem.  I'll consider it - but like I said, because some things are so program dependent, true anonymity might be hard.  However, I'll consider some alternatives too; maybe pre-screened questions that can be shopped to multiple PA's?  There's a pre-SNS PA meeting this week so maybe I can brainstorm with a few others.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)