Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Total waste to do sub-i after Sept 15th?
Is there any point at all in doing a sub-i after Sept 15th? I imagine it's a total waste since you'd be left without a letter of rec from that program for your application. Better idea to just do a sub-i at a lower-tier program in August instead?
(03-23-2021, 04:47 PM)Guest Wrote: Is there any point at all in doing a sub-i after Sept 15th? I imagine it's a total waste since you'd be left without a letter of rec from that program for your application. Better idea to just do a sub-i at a lower-tier program in August instead?

any sub-i at a place that's in your top 3 isn't a waste. There were some interview invites this last cycle that were rolling. Got some in Dec and January after the initial batch.
(03-23-2021, 05:25 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-23-2021, 04:47 PM)Guest Wrote: Is there any point at all in doing a sub-i after Sept 15th? I imagine it's a total waste since you'd be left without a letter of rec from that program for your application. Better idea to just do a sub-i at a lower-tier program in August instead?

any sub-i at a place that's in your top 3 isn't a waste. There were some interview invites this last cycle that were rolling. Got some in Dec and January after the initial batch.

Hm.. how would you even have enough letters of rec to apply if you did an away sub-i in/after September? Is the 'required' # of LORs flexible? Seems like you'd only have letters from your home institution which is a bad look when everyone you're competing with will have letters from an outside institution as well

How could you possibly have a top 3 before you start interviewing, get a feel for what you want, and learn how competitive you are?
(03-23-2021, 06:54 PM)Guest Wrote:

How could you possibly have a top 3 before you start interviewing, get a feel for what you want, and learn how competitive you are?

Why not
Just heard from some nsgy attendings/advisors at my school about this: don’t do any away sub-i that ends after Sept 15th unless you want to shoot your application in the foot. Kind of obvious though

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)