Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UCSF less malignant now?
Is UCSF expected to become less malignant now that Chang is in charge?

How quickly does program culture change when there’s a change in department chair?
No, he trained there. It'll probably stay relatively the same
Chang is actively trying to make UCSF a less malignant place while keeping the best parts of UCSF in place. There's a difference between being malignant (as in the past) vs having high expectations. You can be a top caliber program with crushing volume without malignancy - just takes an active effort to do so.
(03-27-2021, 07:15 PM)Guest Wrote: Chang is actively trying to make UCSF a less malignant place while keeping the best parts of UCSF in place. There's a difference between being malignant (as in the past) vs having high expectations. You can be a top caliber program with crushing volume without malignancy - just takes an active effort to do so.

what's that look like in practice? i.e. still working 120 hours per week but you're not getting screamed at in the OR?
(03-27-2021, 10:19 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 07:15 PM)Guest Wrote: Chang is actively trying to make UCSF a less malignant place while keeping the best parts of UCSF in place. There's a difference between being malignant (as in the past) vs having high expectations. You can be a top caliber program with crushing volume without malignancy - just takes an active effort to do so.

what's that look like in practice? i.e. still working 120 hours per week but you're not getting screamed at in the OR?

That would be my guess. Still getting your ass kicked hours wise and expected to work hard, but not having your superiors actively demean you. The latter is malignancy while the former is just the nature of the work - big difference
(03-27-2021, 11:08 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 10:19 PM)Guest Wrote:

That would be my guess. Still getting your ass kicked hours wise and expected to work hard, but not having your superiors actively demean you. The latter is malignancy while the former is just the nature of the work - big difference

Miami accomplishes this pretty well.. you work like a dog but love every second of it.
What’s peoples take on Eddie Chang? Is he a nice guy/ good surgeon? Obviously we know he does some dope research.
Is there any autonomy here?
Autonomy early on - but zero operative time as a sub-I.
(03-29-2021, 02:55 PM)Guest Wrote: What’s peoples take on Eddie Chang? Is he a nice guy/ good surgeon? Obviously we know he does some dope research.

Haven't seen surgically, but yes, very nice guy

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)