Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
** 2021-2022 Cycle Thread ** - good luck y'all!
Congrats to everyone who matched this past cycle! Looking forward to crushing this application season with y'all. 

Just thought I'd start a thread to be a central hub for support/conversations/questions/etc for the year ahead of us since I'm sure it'll be a complicated and stressful one. Hoping to keep this thread as positive as possible - good vibes only. 

Pretty pumped to start prepping for sub-i's. Will be nice to finally study material in our field of choice. What have y'all been using to prep?
Forewarning - Neurosurgery hub is not the place to be if you like positivity. But I'll still try to contribute to help change that.

I liked fundamentals of neurosurgery and essential neurosurgery for medical students as far as gaining some general knowledge. Greenberg is not good as broad prep material and should rather be used as a reference for questions and prep about specific topics/cases, imo.
(03-29-2021, 11:17 AM)Guest Wrote: Forewarning - Neurosurgery hub is not the place to be if you like positivity. But I'll still try to contribute to help change that.

I liked fundamentals of neurosurgery and essential neurosurgery for medical students as far as gaining some general knowledge. Greenberg is not good as broad prep material and should rather be used as a reference for questions and prep about specific topics/cases, imo.

To build on this, I recently started the Dura Deck and I wish I’d done it prior to my sub-I. It does a great job with the basics and commonly asked questions
Good tips! I've been wondering about suturing - is there comprehensive list of suturing techniques we should know?
(03-29-2021, 11:40 PM)Guest Wrote: Good tips! I've been wondering about suturing - is there comprehensive list of suturing techniques we should know?

Yes!

1. One handed knot
2. See 1
(03-30-2021, 03:57 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 11:40 PM)Guest Wrote: Good tips! I've been wondering about suturing - is there comprehensive list of suturing techniques we should know?

Yes!

1. One handed knot
2. See 1

This is so true. Instrument tie helpful for anastomoses since you can't fit your hand close enough to hand tie, but you aren't going to be doing that as a sub-I. Most is sewing fascia, but at a lot of places you're only suturing skin +/- subcutaneous fat.

Yes!

1. One handed knot
2. See 1

Also how to run a subcuticular, how to end a subcuticular, and how to drive a needle through deeper fascia. Nothing crazy, but if you learn these and know how to do them, you can help close and be an asset
(03-30-2021, 09:36 AM)Guest Wrote:

Yes!

1. One handed knot
2. See 1

Also how to run a subcuticular, how to end a subcuticular, and how to drive a needle through deeper fascia. Nothing crazy, but if you learn these and know how to do them, you can help close and be an asset

You letting med students close fascia? I understand deep dermals but that makes me uncomfortable
(03-30-2021, 02:21 PM)Guest Wrote:
(03-30-2021, 09:36 AM)Guest Wrote:

Yes!

1. One handed knot
2. See 1

You letting med students close fascia? I understand deep dermals but that makes me uncomfortable
Depends on how good the student is. Its all about progressive autonomy. The more you know, the more i would let you do
(03-29-2021, 11:52 AM)Guest Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 11:17 AM)Guest Wrote: Forewarning - Neurosurgery hub is not the place to be if you like positivity. But I'll still try to contribute to help change that.

To build on this, I recently started the Dura Deck and I wish I’d done it prior to my sub-I. It does a great job with the basics and commonly asked questions

Where is the deck? Couldn’t find it on Anki.

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)