Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barrow
Thought I'd post about my experience at the Barrow and regarding recent rumors about the chairmanship. The overall rotation was the best I've been on so far. It's tailored to get med students in the OR as much as possible. The day begins with rounds at 6 and you're expected to present 2 patients. Then you spend the rest of the day in the ORs until cases are done. Volume was impressive. 11 dedicated OR's with an average of over 20 cases per day - the lightest day I saw was 10 cases because half of the attendings were out of town. The residents have tremendous autonomy and it shows is how good they are in the OR. Most of the 4/5's were doing complex cases comfortably that I've seen chief residents at other centers just watch their attendings do. During the cases, the residents and attendings also teach you to do a lot as a med student beyond just opening/closing like placing spinal instrumentation and helping out under the scope. Despite being so busy, the residents were extremely nice, patient, and just positive - you could tell that they were happy to be training there and it really contributes a lot to the culture. The residents and staff were also very open about the recent leadership changes - Theodore leaving for hopkins and spetzler stepping down. Its now confirmed that Lawton will be taking over after Spetzler steps down. They're also interviewing several big name spinal guys, a lot of deformity and minimally invasive names to fill in for Theodore's role. Even with these changes, I think the BNI is still going to continue being the powerhouse that it is.
Should Spetzler's presence/absence have any bearing on one's decision to try to Sub-I here? I'm sure the whole program is not just riding on one guy, but all things consider, i.e. a good LOR etc? I don't know when he technically leaves.
What's the average Step score for this program?
(02-18-2017, 11:53 PM)Guest Wrote: What's the average Step score for this program?

Curious about this as well
Wasn't sure why there were harbingers of the fall of BNI. Going from Spetzler to Lawton isn't a downgrade by any stretch of the imagination. Both fantastic neurosurgeons.
(02-18-2017, 11:53 PM)Guest Wrote: What's the average Step score for this program?

>260
(02-13-2018, 10:08 PM)Guest Wrote:

>260

I doubt it's that high. Probably a 240 cutoff for interviews but I'm sure the applicants ranked highly have great letters, research and performed well on the Sub-I.
(02-13-2018, 11:25 PM)Guest Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 10:08 PM)Guest Wrote:

>260

I doubt it's that high. Probably a 240 cutoff for interviews but I'm sure the applicants ranked highly have great letters, research and performed well on the Sub-I.
Sounds like someone whose never met a resident from Barrow.
Most residents have around 260. Step 1 scores are the #1 thing that gets you in the door here (and everywhere else obviously, just moreso here).
(02-14-2018, 05:43 PM)Guest Wrote: Most residents have around 260.  Step 1 scores are the #1 thing that gets you in the door here (and everywhere else obviously, just moreso here).

except the kid lawton brought with him from UCSF  I hear he hardly passed

[-]
Quick Reply

Image Verification
Please enter the text contained within the image into the text box below it. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.
Image Verification
(case insensitive)